Bridgeport serial number don’t match

FTlatheworks

Registered
Registered
I’m about to buy a bp mill the serial on the head is 2j-139413, but the knee is br 255618. I was told it’s bp mill bought in 89. It’s immaculate, but should I be concerned?

No. They never did.

The serial number on the knee is the only one that will give you any information. Yours was made in 1990.

The serial number on the heads were never recorded as far as dates, etc.

The number on the knee is the serial number. The number on the head is just a part number. It has nothing to do with the age of the machine. My 1972 J2J machine was purchased new by a local high school. The original paperwork came with the machine. The only identifying number on the bill of sale is the serial number on the knee.

Even if it isn't the original head I wouldn't be concerned. It's quite common for shops to send out the head for an exchange when they show signs of wear. It isn't practical in most cases for a shop to be without a machine for 2 to 4 weeks while the read is being rebuilt. The head on mine is the original, and after 52 years of use it's starting to show some wear. I doubt the head on your machine has been replaced unless the machine was abused, which should be obvious. If it's in immaculate condition as the seller contends it's highly unlikely the head has been replaced.

Last edited:
The number on the knee is the serial number. The number on the head is just a part number. It has nothing to do with the age of the machine. My 1972 J2J machine was purchased new by a local high school. The original paperwork came with the machine. The only identifying number on the bill of sale is the serial number on the knee.

Even if it isn't the original head I wouldn't be concerned. It's quite common for shops to send out the head for an exchange when they show signs of wear. It isn't practical in most cases for a shop to be without a machine for 2 to 4 weeks while the read is being rebuilt. The head on mine is the original, and after 52 years of use it's starting to show some wear. I doubt the head on your machine has been replaced unless the machine was abused, which should be obvious. If it's in immaculate condition as the seller contends it's highly unlikely the head has been replaced.
Awesome! I always get nervous on big purchases.

No. They never did.

The serial number on the knee is the only one that will give you any information. Yours was made in 1990.

The serial number on the heads were never recorded as far as dates, etc.
Yes, I see I’m wrong. That’s what I get for reading practical machinist threads here and there.

Yes, I see I’m wrong. That’s what I get for reading practical machinist threads here and there.
You can trust anything on the internet. It's all true and accurate. ;)

Back