Bridgeport re-con--from beginning to end '''from the inside to the outside''

--jan 25---finally have reached a point where i can apply finish coats of paint to some of the bridge port mill parts---see attachments--i am using industrial paints from ''ppg'' and do have their formula for an exact copy of original bridgeport gray. wasent ez to get --if you need it just send me p.m. thanks for watchin! re steve:)
--jan 27--painted a few more parts for bp- mill see attachments--

bp#10.JPG bp#11.JPG bp#12.JPG

Looking very sharp. From the pics that paint job looks better than the one that came stock on it. :thumbzup:

-Ron

bridgeport-beginning to end

update--2-22-12--disassembled power head and have added glazing putty to smooth out rough casting prior to painting. a paint remover called '' aircraft stripper'' was used to first remove old paint . it worked well--but it ain't fun to do this! wire brushes must be used after each application of paint remover. bridgeport used lots and lots of paint back in 1969. there is an attachment showing a picture of the quill assem. and the gear teeth cut on the backside of this assem. these teeth are part of the rack and pinion assem. used to raise and lower the quill assem . they are very very sharp just as you would expect to find on an side mill cutter. if you were to install a dull drill bit ''for sake discussion '' into the collet and quill assem. and proceeded to drill a hole-lets say in tough steel ---and sufficient pressure is applied with the 8-inch manual downfeed handle or you use the power down feed--- it is possible to distort and damage a gear tooth on the quill assem. now re-move the drill and lower the empty-quill assem. lets say 3-three to 4-inches. if the ''sharp'' gear tooth was damaged you have very possibly just damaged the ''body'' which supports and surrounds the quill assem. now the quill sticks and binds when it is raised and lowered.naturally -you ain't gonna be happy. . i have owned this mill 9-yrs.--it was built in 1969--and the quill has never felt ''rite'' to me. it took me 6--hours of looking-looking -looking and stoneing with waterstones wet sandpaper and blueing to find the problem - the gear teeth had been damaged -and likewise the enclosue or ''bore was also scored. i removed the hi spots and iam very pleased that it no longer ''sticks. just my $.02, thanks for watchin. re steve

bridgeport power head assem..JPG bridgeport quill #1.JPG

Are there any new pictures to add to this thread I would love to see the finished result!

Are there any new pictures to add to this thread I would love to see the finished result!
robert---there are quite a few new pics---go to ''new posts'' look for the word ''STACKED'' as in i have re-stacked the bridgeport backbone with the knee erc. etc.--iam not done yet but iam getting pieces back together as we speak---iam about to add more pics rite now. thanks for watchin. re steve in mt. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/6233-STACKED-well-almost?p=53994#post53994--robert here i think --is a ''link'' to the pictures i spoke of. see link above.

Back