Bridgeport re-con--from beginning to end '''from the inside to the outside''

smallfly

Active User
Registered
OK---here goes--i have owned this bp for approx 8 years. it's 1969 vintage--info--(bp co. according to their serial #'s have produced 500,000) so far ---that's does not include the copies others have produced--that's a lot of cast iron !!---i got about 2200 lbs here in ''NO--WHERE MT.''-- ok-- the things iam sure of . # 1 .i ain't NO machinist --i play one on tv??--. --2.--nasa is sorta''out of business''--so i don't have to think about meeting their standards-# 3 iam computer ''challenged'' and don't do''KEYBOARD '' GOOD AT ALL.--u--got Ques??--call me--i am finally retired and ''got time to visit-- # 4-- IVE OWNED THIS MILL 8-9 YEARS BUT AIN'T SURE WHAT I OWN ''gonna find that out next week in UTAH--#5 i stole this mill and the good news is --i own it! . #6--you guy's and gal's like pictures --soooo here i go--i disassem. mill and cleaned it --and today i primed inside of knee---this gotta be boreing but iam gonna do this this ''thing''--from ''inside -out'' AS PROMISED--- tomorrow i add white finish coat paint to what i primed today. now HERE IS THE breakdown--8--ounces paint and activator--total liquid sprayed 8--oz.--also added -- with approx3--ounces thinner-now this gave me 3--medium thick coats one on top of another- GOTTA LOVE SPRAYING PAINT ''INSIDE OF KNEE''--NOTE--sharpe spray gun--model##-- --finnex 3000-hvlp--with 3--m pps system ''gravity feed---you can spray paint ''upside down'' for very brief periods-- this really helps if you be painting small machinery--way back in corners where only you will ever look--:phew: my wife say's iam very ''ANAL''-- see's rite:biggrin:-- i keep no secrets here in mt.--call 406--596--7960--i will tell all what i used and ???why i went this direction?? i been lookin at this 8-9 years-and i want it to ''BE RITe '' --but not the ''HIGHEST'' priced.:biggrin: now the hard part for me . --''DOWNLOADING PICS.??:thinking::thinking:

1-INSIDE KNEE.JPG 2-INSIDE KNEE.JPG 3-INSIDE KNEE.JPG DSCN1153.JPG 4-INSIDE KNEE.JPG

OK---here goes--i have owned this bp for approx 8 years. it's 1969 vintage--info--(bp co. according to their serial #'s have produced 500,000) so far ---that's does not include the copies others have produced--that's a lot of cast iron !!---i got about 2200 lbs here in ''NO--WHERE MT.''-- ok-- the things iam sure of . # 1 .i ain't NO machinist --i play one on tv??--. --2.--nasa is sorta''out of business''--so i don't have to think about meeting their standards-# 3 iam computer ''challenged'' and don't do''KEYBOARD '' GOOD AT ALL.--u--got Ques??--call me--i am finally retired and ''got time to visit-- # 4-- IVE OWNED THIS MILL 8-9 YEARS BUT AIN'T SURE WHAT I OWN ''gonna find that out next week in UTAH--#5 i stole this mill and the good news is --i own it! . #6--you guy's and gal's like pictures --soooo here i go--i disassem. mill and cleaned it --and today i primed inside of knee---this gotta be boreing but iam gonna do this this ''thing''--from ''inside -out'' AS PROMISED--- tomorrow i add white finish coat paint to what i primed today. now HERE IS THE breakdown--8--ounces paint and activator--total liquid sprayed 8--oz.--also added -- with approx3--ounces thinner-now this gave me 3--medium thick coats one on top of another- GOTTA LOVE SPRAYING PAINT ''INSIDE OF KNEE''--NOTE--sharpe spray gun--model##-- --finnex 3000-hvlp--with 3--m pps system ''gravity feed---you can spray paint ''upside down'' for very brief periods-- this really helps if you be painting small machinery--way back in corners where only you will ever look--:phew: my wife say's iam very ''ANAL''-- see's rite:biggrin:-- i keep no secrets here in mt.--call 406--596--7960--i will tell all what i used and ???why i went this direction?? i been lookin at this 8-9 years-and i want it to ''BE RITe '' --but not the ''HIGHEST'' priced.:biggrin: now the hard part for me . --''DOWNLOADING PICS.??:thinking::thinking:
--0K first MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!!!--the b.p. mill knee has been coated with 4--more coats ''brite white''--with primer that adds up to 7--coats paint inside knee---don't ever want to do this again--now the casting is ''sealed'' and can be cleaned if needed with ''any'' chemical you wanna use---this epoxy paint resists even brake fluid and has been used by boeing aircraft to paint the floors in their airplane hangers!! last time i used this paint was 40--some years ago---on outboard motor gas tanks---NOTHING!!! I MEAN NOTHING !!--will harm or melt this paint--''see FARWEST PAINTS --SEATTLE WASH.--product called ''SKYTHANE''---it's their formula--thank's for watchin re steve

Just for the sake of discussion, Jasco makes a stripper that will remove any epoxy or polyurethane coating. I've never had it fail, and have used it a good bit. I wouldn't want to spill any of it on your pretty paint job. ;)

Amazing job and someday I WILL augment my '70s vintage Enco mill/drill with the real McCoy, a Bridgeport! Your work is inspiring

Just for the sake of discussion, Jasco makes a stripper that will remove any epoxy or polyurethane coating. I've never had it fail, and have used it a good bit. I wouldn't want to spill any of it on your pretty paint job. ;)

+1 on the Jasco. It's the strongest stripper I've found. Aircraft stripper is a close second.

+1 on the Jasco. It's the strongest stripper I've found. Aircraft stripper is a close second.
---interesting---i have always thought ''aircraft stripper'' was the most powerful---never tried it as yet--it's from a co. called ''strip-it''---they have a product i have used called ''naked gun''--to clean out your spray guns--works fairley well--but when the epoxy primers dry up in your spray it's really hard to get them cleaned out:phew:---i heard of a paint sale on ''aircraft stripper ''---i also heard 12 /31/2011--the federal gov. is no longer allowing same formulation. they are removing certain chemicals---not sure exactly what the REAL story is???--thanks for lookin:biggrin: re steve

It's sort of relative to what I'm working on which stripper works best. When I'm restoring a machine that has 60 years of multiple layers of brushed on clown colored paint the Jasco seems to work best. For newer formulated paint the aircraft stripper is great. Both will sting the bejeebers out of you when you get it on your skin.....equally well.

It's sort of relative to what I'm working on which stripper works best. When I'm restoring a machine that has 60 years of multiple layers of brushed on clown colored paint the Jasco seems to work best. For newer formulated paint the aircraft stripper is great. Both will sting the bejeebers out of you when you get it on your skin.....equally well.
---CORRECTIONS!!--THE STRIPPING PRODUCTS i used were made by a co. called ''klean strip''---not ''strip it'' as i previously stated---sorry bout that:nuts:
i used there paint remover on cast iron parts for my lathe and it really worked great!---i have not used ''aircraft stripper. thanks for watchin. also enclosed picture of b.p. knee with final coats of white. st.

knee finished 1.JPG knee finished 2.JPG View attachment 112273 View attachment 112274

---CORRECTIONS!!--THE STRIPPING PRODUCTS i used were made by a co. called ''klean strip''---not ''strip it'' as i previously stated---sorry bout that:nuts:
i used there paint remover on cast iron parts for my lathe and it really worked great!---i have not used ''aircraft stripper. thanks for watchin. also enclosed picture of b.p. knee with final coats of white. st.
jan 17-2012 i have moved on to clean and paint other mill parts while scraping is being completed by others. if you have ''cleaned ''your cast iron parts and would like to make them smmooth ---but do not want to spend moooooore money on paint and more primers ---try a product from ''everglaze'' co.---it's a glaze putty --and can be applied to raw clean cast iron--part # is 100414--dries real fast --sands reeeeeel ez --iam very pleased with results see attached pics and also ''woodstove dog--she is Q.C. on the job---when she is awake! hope this shortens the journey for others. re steve

DSCN1181.JPG DSCN1184.JPG DSCN1187.JPG DSCN1188.JPG

jan 17-2012 i have moved on to clean and paint other mill parts while scraping is being completed by others. if you have ''cleaned ''your cast iron parts and would like to make them smmooth ---but do not want to spend moooooore money on paint and more primers ---try a product from ''everglaze'' co.---it's a glaze putty --and can be applied to raw clean cast iron--part # is 100414--dries real fast --sands reeeeeel ez --iam very pleased with results see attached pics and also ''woodstove dog--she is Q.C. on the job---when she is awake! hope this shortens the journey for others. re steve
--jan 25---finally have reached a point where i can apply finish coats of paint to some of the bridge port mill parts---see attachments--i am using industrial paints from ''ppg'' and do have their formula for an exact copy of original bridgeport gray. wasent ez to get --if you need it just send me p.m. thanks for watchin! re steve:)

bp1.JPG bp2.JPG bp3.JPG bp4.JPG

Back