Bridgeport Quill Clockspring..?

EmilioG

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Has anyone here changed the clock spring on the quill handle of a BP mill?
The quill handle doesn't balance and I think it's the clock spring .
H&W sells the complete assemble for $30, do the locating pins need to be changed also
with this repair and what should I replace as well?
Thank you.

more than likely the end is broken off the old spring, re bend it and reuse it

You cannot just re-bend the spring. If the inner end is broken. It will need to the annealed and a new hole made. You cannot just re-bend it. The spring will break again. It must be annealed first. And for the money, a new spring is worth it. But first, check to see if it’s not just a needed adjustment and not broken. Adjust the spring tension so that it balances a mounted chuck …Dave.

with do re specks i have re bent them and they worked fine, used to work machine repair for 25 years. I do agree it may only be out of adjustment.

In general it's been my experience that rebending and putting in a new hole is a temporary fix. I normally order a new assembly at that time, it's $30 well spent IMHO.

Lock the quill at the top before you start removing the spring cartridge.

Be careful, if you take the spring out of the cartridge, or allow it to escape, they tend to ''explode'', and rewinding is a bit of a pain. I have used a Dremel with a carbide burr to put in the new hole.

I normally use ChannelLocks to control the cartridge when removing and installing. Some new cartridges come with a ''tool'' (a bent piece of wire) to adjust the tension, but I have found them not to be the best tool for the job. This normally requires turning the cartridge a bit then re-installing a screw and getting another bite with the ChannelLocks. Tension the new spring just enough to counterbalance the quill, the quill should not just snap back to the top like a drill press.

Hopeing a BP spring will work on my Supermax.

Hopeing a BP spring will work on my Supermax.

Most of them are interchangeable. SuperMax is (was) a true BP clone. Take a look on Ebay for BP clockspring. I have a BP spring in my Eagal.

Thanks for posting that!

Thanks. I've seen that video. We're going to buy the complete unit from H&W for $30.00
Plus new locating pins.

Back