Bridgeport Power Feed 6f Motor Mount Question

expressline99

Registered
Registered
Hi guys, I'm about to remount the motor on my power feed to the gearbox. At some point someone told me using a bit of RTV is recommended for the area around the mounting flange. Just where the mating surfaces are and in the two reset screw holes. But I forget what type of RTV. It was either red or blue. One was said to get into the gearbox and one not so much... any ideas?

Also, there appears to be a recessed area around the base of the shaft for a large o-ring? This is the area just before the first rise in height from the mounting plate. Looks to be about 2-3/4" ? I can't find any diagrams that show an o-ring there and I assume using the RTV will take care of this anyway.

Thanks,
Paul

Hi Paul, make sure you carefully clean all the carbon dust out of the motor. And check the front and back bearings. I typically see bad or dirty bearings. And RTV around the flange should be just fine. Maybe those rubber sealing washers would be a good idea for the mounting bolts? The motor will self-align when you install it. The housing cover on the other side of the motor side gets a gasket. Glad to hear you are using the genuine Bridgeport feed. I think the other feeds are crap. Good Luck…Dave.

I would use anaerobic gasket sealer instead of RTV anywhere there is a decent fit. It does not harden unless confined in a small space, and any excess dissolves in the oil. RTV has ruined many a machine, and lots of automotive engines. If you do use RTV on machine parts, remember you aren't caulking your house...

Hi Paul, make sure you carefully clean all the carbon dust out of the motor. And check the front and back bearings. I typically see bad or dirty bearings. And RTV around the flange should be just fine. Maybe those rubber sealing washers would be a good idea for the mounting bolts? The motor will self-align when you install it. The housing cover on the other side of the motor side gets a gasket. Glad to hear you are using the genuine Bridgeport feed. I think the other feeds are crap. Good Luck…Dave.

Hey Dave, the reason I took the whole thing off started with the "magic smoke" the motor was giving off. When I took it apart the inside of the motor had oil residue everywhere. I cleaned it out and while I was at it replaced the brush holders, brushes and caps. The bearing on the output side of the shaft had a odd dragging feeling to it when spun with my fingers so I replaced it. The other side seemed just fine.

I just put in a new light and new fuse holder on the front panel. Still need to clean out everything in the gearbox it has either really old oil or blackened grease here and there...other than that the inside was dry when I got it. I wonder how long it's been since it's had oil... I have a new gasket for the front cover where the oil sight glass is.

****Note for anyone taking off the front cover where the oil level is... there is a detent pin that is spring loaded. It is seated in the front cover and will spring out. Nice and easy to lose. Anyway this pin and spring push against the "clutch detent cam". It stops the clutch from going to far in either direction as you shift it.

I'll have to take a picture of the o-ring recess that I see on the motor flange.

Now that I've been reading on RTV vs anaerobic gasket sealer I think I've got to go back to the auto part store tomorrow. I like the idea that the extra will dissolve in the oil. I assume when hardened that it's oil resistant?

I'm in the middle of the same project Pasul so I have some of the same questions. I completely disassembled all the pieces and parts on mine and there was a lot of red material at the sealing joints - it peeled right off so I'm not sure what it was. I also purchased some new parts including the front cover gasket. What is your plan for installing that gasket? Does it go on dry or would you use some type of light oil coating or gasket adhesive?

Regarding your O ring question - mine actually has two O rings on the shaft side of the motor - I have not seen them on any of the parts lists I have but there is not too much information available on the motor that I have found. I'll try to get some pictures later today.

I've read that the weak point of this feeder is oil leaks into the electronics but I am concerned about the mtor mounting flange as well

Rick

So here's the pictures of the O rings on my motor - not sure if they are original or previous owner added.

This is the outside face of the bearing retainer on the shaft end of the motor
Bearing%20Retainer%20O%20ring_zpsu1uxzgn7.jpg

This is the inside face of what I am calling a seal plate - also on the shaft end of the motor
Seal%20O%20ring_zpseo9z8llw.jpg

When installed - these O rings appear to butt up to each other - not sure if they are helping, hurting or have no effect

Rick

Hey Rick,
I had to go out and take the plate off the end of my motor to see this. Mine doesn't have an o-ring there. But it looks like it should have one.
The one I was talking about (I think) goes where I'm pointing in the attached picture.

On the gasket I will probably just put a light film of the gearbox oil on it and both mating surfaces. I don't plan on using any type of gasket adhesive. Unless someone else has input on that?

I also replaced the shaft seal in the gearbox last night. Mine was completely chewed up in there. I believe you are right about the electronics getting oiled but the shaft seal
should handle that. Overfilling the gearbox is another problem I read about.

power feed 6f o ring.jpg

That looks like a good place for an O ring Paul. I also got a new shaft seal. I'm having trouble getting the clutch shaft to go through the bottom bushing - it goes about halfway so I ordered a new bushing to eliminate that variable. I'm hoping the shaft isn't bent.

I'm assuming (but don't know for sure) that the oil level should be about half way up the sight glass?

Do you have any concerns about oil leaks around the bearing shaft seats in the gearbox housing - I'm tlking about the drive shaft inboard and outboard bearings?

Rick

That looks like a good place for an O ring Paul. I also got a new shaft seal. I'm having trouble getting the clutch shaft to go through the bottom bushing - it goes about halfway so I ordered a new bushing to eliminate that variable. I'm hoping the shaft isn't bent.

I'm assuming (but don't know for sure) that the oil level should be about half way up the sight glass?

Do you have any concerns about oil leaks around the bearing shaft seats in the gearbox housing - I'm tlking about the drive shaft inboard and outboard bearings?

Rick
My clutch shaft was bent at the top just below the handle. So it didn't interfere with the bushings. But I took the bend out somewhat by putting it in a vise and using a piece of square tubing. It's really soft metal. Bends easy. I didn't have to do that where it enters a bushing though. Might have to replace it.

My sight glass still has the marks on it and it appears to be half way up. So the oil level will be really low. By the looks of it it maybe just below the edge of the drive shaft bearings. I don't think it will leak. Mine doesn't seem to have leaked before but its been many years since it's seen oil.

Hey Rick after messing around at the auto parts store today. I bought several o-rings and managed to get anaerobic gasket sealer (o'reilly's 51813) was $5.99 for a tiny tube. I bought the two they had considering they both contain less than an oz.. they didn't have the larger tubes. As well, I had to go to two different stores apparently only some carry it. Anyhow, after all this I couldn't find an o ring to work on the larger diameter and I'm unhappy with how far out the collar is pushed out on the motor where you have yours. So on both the motor flange and the collar I'll be using the sealer I bought without the rings. Hopefully that will workout.

Back