Bridgeport Mystery

Well after tinkering with the machine today I have come to the conclusion that it just can't happen the way I was thinking. There's no way that gear can get out of the slot without the selector being pulled out of the head. I'm now thinking it must have been that way ever since I bought it. The machine was purchased from an old retired machinist who told me he had replaced the belts just before I got it. There would have been no reason to remove the selector for a belt change but maybe he did. I had to rewind the speed changer chain because he had it wound the wrong way so when you tried to increase the spindle speed it would actually slow down. Anyway it seems to work fine now so it's all been a bunch of to do about nothing. Guess I have to find something else to fix. Thanks for the replies anyway'

Thanks Bill. I believe I have it running ok now. I have the manual that came with the machine although it's falling apart. Maybe I can print some of the one you found and get a better look of some things. Thanks again.

Doug

The shop gremlins put that pin there I tell ya. The little suckers come out when it is dark in our shop. And they move things around and hide things. They like playing games like that to make us think we are going crazy.

Really I have no clue. But I swear them gremlins are real.

I had a shop foreman as a gremlin. I was rebuilding the first of the front wheel drive auto transaxles on a chevy (don't remember the model) and was down to the last few parts and there was a snap ring there in the part pile. There was no place for a snap ring to go---but I still looked for a place for a long time.
Couldn't find the shop foreman for a while, not that it mattered, he had never repaired one of the 125 transaxles either.

He showed up about an hour latter looking like the cat that ate the canary--owned up to putting the snap ring there. We had a lot of laughs about it thru the years.

Back