Bridgeport Model "e" Shaper Or Slotting Attachment?

GarageGuy

Active User
Registered
I have a chance to buy one of these at a reasonable price (I think). Supposedly these are good for broaching keyways and cutting splines. I've been doing a little research, and they use special cutting tools that are rather expensive. The cutting tools look a lot like those cheap Chinese cemented carbide boring bars that come in sets of 9 pieces for about $30. I was wondering if regrinding one for this purpose is practical. I read that as a "shaper", this is a very light duty machine. Does anyone here have any experience with this attachment? In your opinion, what is a reasonable price?

Thanks!

GG

20161209_153237.jpg

20161209_153246.jpg

20161209_153340.jpg

20161209_153348.jpg

20161209_153403.jpg

If you pass it up, I might be interested, but I don't have any experience with it, just think it'd be cool.

the ebay prices here seem to be around $1400 for one in working order, 3 phase 220V.

There is a local guy that has one for sale with tooling for $1200, but I can buy one from someone else for less than half that. No tooling, though.

GG

that's a deal - the half price one. I assume the ways are good on the 'deal'? Scraping them would be a pain for you

Most of these have very little wear because they didn't get used very much. I'm sure there are exceptions, though.

GG

the cheap one is a deal I'd pounce on and sliver solder my own tooling. My mill is a clone so adapting it to mine would be a big job...

I found one on CL about 15 years ago for $200. Mounted it on the ram in the back and have never used it. Found a complete set of cutters for 10 bucks at the flea market! Those I use! I mount the cutter in the quill and oscillate the quill with its handle. Yes, I know it’s not the best on the quill feed mechanism, but I take it slow and my projects are small scale. Have not noticed any problem/damage with the quill feed. And I lock the spindle with a bungee cord attached to the spindle brake. Still get a tad of radial play from the spline inside the quill/spindle assembly, but doesn’t seem to be a problem?…Dave

Last edited:
I've done the quill approach before, and it works great in softer materials. For steels, esp. tool steels, the quill approach can get old very fast. Chips&more if you were thinking of selling someday..... (just had to ask).

Back