Bridgeport Mill Series 1 Lead screw moves without table

kbollen

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have a Bridgeport Mill bought several years ago and didn't do much with it. It had about .07 of backlash and I was able to adjust it down to .02.
The lead screw while turning moves about 1/8 inch without the table. Moving to the right it moves very smoothly but when going to the left the
screw turns into the power feed, which I haven't really used, and fights the gear. After removing the right handle and power feed gear. I am able
to see that the lead screw moves without moving the table. Do the bearings on each end keep the leadscrew "fixed" to the table? Thank you for
any advice

UPDATE: I hadn't used it much since I bought it after removing the automatic feed and looking at the opposite side. It turns out the nut is missing on the end of the feed screw on the left side. this allowed the handle to start moving off the left side allowing the feed screw to push in and out of the opposite side. Guess it wasn't just the drawbar missing when I bought it. There must of been enough friction/rust to keep the left handle from moving initially, but as I took deeper cuts in the last couple times i used it the feed screw started moving to the right. The feed screw was moving laterally in and out of the table.

Last edited:
You're going to have to define "moves". Moves how? Longitudinally, laterally, etc.....?

Edited to remove backlash comment, as I misread the OP's description.

Last edited:
You're going to have to define "moves". Moves how? Longitudinally, laterally, etc.....? I'd also not adjust backlash as tight as .002", as it'll likely bind up at either end of its travel. I go no tighter than about .005".
He said .02, not .002, that is twenty thou. not two thou.

He said .02, not .002, that is twenty thou. not two thou.
Yikes missed that, thanks for the correction! Have never seen that much backlash, so I think my brain automatically saw .007 and .002!

These folks have some pretty good videos on repair/adjustment of Bridgeports.

Yikes missed that, thanks for the correction! Have never seen that much backlash, so I think my brain automatically saw .007 and .002!
It's all too easy to read something and misinterpret what is said, I have found myself in that position all too many times, also I have seen misstatements by some writers ---

Thank you for all your quick replies and the video's. Here is the update which I originally put in the initial question.
UPDATE: I hadn't used it much since I bought it after removing the automatic feed and looking at the opposite side. It turns out the nut is missing on the end of the feed screw on the left side. this allowed the handle to start moving off the left side allowing the feed screw to push in and out of the opposite side. Guess it wasn't just the drawbar missing when I bought it. There must of been enough friction/rust to keep the left handle from moving initially, but as I took deeper cuts in the last couple times i used it the feed screw started moving to the right. The feed screw was moving laterally in and out of the table.
Now I just have to go to the local tool supplier and get a jam nut. Don't think I'll find a long enough fine thread 1/2 nut to turn down

Back