Bridgeport mill restoration

How about some details on the "wheels" for the BP? I'd love to have something like that under my Wells-Index. Thanks, -Ron

Hi Ron,

I will try to make a material list tonight. It takes a little work, but I can move the machine by myself!

Just for clarification, I saw a picture of a mobile base for a BP on another site. It looked good so this is what I put together for my mill. I used some smaller steel wheels (3" dia.) that I had on the shelf which makes it harder to move. If I were going to make another one, I would opt for 5-6" wheel and build the frame in a drop deck fashion. This would keep the center of gravity as low as possible, yet make it easier to roll. I have moved the machine several times trying to make more room in the shop and have been able to move it myself with the assistance of a large pry bar. (2400#'s).

The frame is made out of 2'x3" heavy wall tubing. The side rails are 4' in length. Enough left hanging over the ends to attach the wheels. Each machine base is different, so for the cross pieces (2) I would make them the width of the base + width of 2 pieces of 2" tubing + 1/2" fudge room for base. I would also leave approximately 2-3" overhang on each cross piece to allow for a leveling bolt nut to be welded on. Drill the four holes for the bolts and you can level at each corner. I messed up and measured once and had to cut 4 times to weld on 4 pieces of angle iron for the leveling bolts. I used 5/8" jack bolts and they seem to work fine.

For looks, I tapered the ends of the side pieces and filled in with 2"x 1/4" flat bar and smoothed with a grinder. Looks better to me that way!

For the BP it took 14' of 2"x3" tubing. 2 Swivel wheels and 2 fixed wheels, 4 jack bolts and 4 grade 8 nuts, 8 nuts if you want jam nuts, 4 pieces of 1/4"x2" round stock to place between the floor and bolt, and 4 pieces of angle 3"x"x 1/4" if you mess up on your measurments!!!! Paint and a Saturday and you are set. Hope this is helpful.

David

Back