Bridgeport J head motor swap. HELP !!!!!

Mutt

Registered
Registered
Hey y'all it's time to make the change on my Bridgeport. It has been working on the 3 ph. convertor, but it will only run in low gear. I have the new motor and adapter plate and the single ph. drum switch in hand. Last night I finally gave up and pulled the original 3 ph. motor. only 2 bolts and 3 wires. Not a big deal. But I need some help before I go and ruin a billion dollar pulley.

Here is the 3ph. motor w/ pulley. I am sure someone on this forum has pulled this pulley off before. Looks like BP didn't bother with making a used friendly way to remove the pulley and I sure don't need to break it. So what is the easiest and safest way to remove this pulley and the next question is.

The new 56 frame motor has a 5/8" shaft and the pulley, 3/4". Can I get some ideas here on how to make this work?
IMG_4985.JPG IMG_4986.JPG

Wondering if you can get in there with a bearing separator?
Or, perhaps use a press?
Haven't done this. I don't know if this is best practice for a BP.

Daryl
MN

Why are you doing this?

If motor shot or cannot be made to correct voltage then look for replacement correct motor.

If only due to 3 phase then get a vfd and install it as it will allow great performance and variable speed from motor as well.

If you break the pulley game over...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

I removed the pulley from my j-head and changed the motor bearings. I forget how I removed it. My normal approach is to use a bearing splitter (if there's room). I then set the splitter on parallels and remove carefully with hydraulic press. A little heat on the pulley with a propane torch might help if it's really tight;
but don't get much hotter than 200-250 degrees. I use a TECO 1 HP VFD with my 3 phase motor and could not be happier.

Drill & Tap two 3/8-16 holes 180 degrees from each other next to the hub. Hook up a Proto two arm puller to the sheave with a couple of socket head cap screws with washers and pull. This is how I tried to remove the sheave from the motor on my Index mill. Ken

Back