Bridgeport Cross Feed Locking Up

TommyD

Registered
Registered
I have, from what I can tell, a 1962 vintage Bridgeport here at the school. I've been having an issue when cranking the cross feed, it sometimes locks up. Reversing it most of the time frees it up but sometimes not. Last night when the students were using it we think we found the problem, locking the jam nut on the left side (looking at the machine) number collar seems to be the issue, locking it up against the end bearing bracket. We have a job in there now so I really don't want to fiddle with it too much, don't want to have to reset up the job since we are in the middle of a cut. I'm looking at the schematic of the Longitudinal and Cross Feed Ass'y (Drawing 3) and it isn't really much help. There LOOKS to be a spacer (unlabeled) between the number collar and the bearing on both sides and I'm wondering if maybe the left side spacer is worn. Anyone run into this problem? I'm thinking once the job is out I'll take it apart and maybe see if a shim will stop the problem.

Drawing 6 shows info for AFTER a power feed and new screw is installed. It calls for stock removal on the bearing bracket if the dial crowds the bracket OR stock removal on what looks to be a shoulder of what looks to be the item that is threaded for the lock ring. It also shows a split washer on the right side of the new shaft.

Drawing 9 (sectional view) & 10 (power feed), Drawing 10 indicates a split washer on the feed screw on the power feed side with yet another unlabeled item that it LOOKS to butt on. This unlabeled item looks to be threaded for the lock nut, it DOES number and show the lock nut and number collar, H69 & H78.

I'm thinking, if possible, it would entail less work to try the shim method vs machining down the bearing bracket.

I HAVE searched here and haven't seen anything helpful.

Back