Bridgeport cherrying head hand wheel question

tfleming

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Does anyone have a working Bridgeport cherrying head, and if so, can you take a picture or two of the hand wheel off the machine? I just acquired a used cherrying head, but it is missing the hand wheel, and I can't seem to find used parts anywhere for it. I would like to get the dimensions and config so I can modify another hand wheel to fit it. any help would be appreciated.

I can see them being used in lots of machining operations. The repeating movements to cut curves and hollows out , YUPP I see how and why. But I'm not sure the wheel designs . What's on your machine it fits on or in? By looking at the video it's gear driven , so I imagine it must be keyed or pinned to the gear.

Mine is made by Bridgeport for use on a Bridgeport J or J2 mill. Mounts on the back side of the ram just like the Bridgeport shaper attachment does. Used to make ball molds, cut woodruff key slots, and similar milling operations requiring a longitudinal radius cut on the X-axis.

my unit is missing the hand wheel shown in the video. All I am looking for is a picture or 2 of the wheel (not mounted on the head) with some basic dimensions like, OD, bore diameter, any stop pins, etc. I am sure someone out there has one! :afro:

BTW, thanks for all the replies so far!

May not answer your question but I have an original 1967 Bridgeport catalog and took a pic of the cherry head for you.

IMG_8059[1].JPG

Maybe the guys on YouTube that do the rebuilding might be able to help . I believe there H&W machine rebuilders , I'll try to Ck for ya. They carry parts and may have descriptions

thanks SB, I called H&W today. Sadly, nogo on nearly any parts for the cherrying head. Parts that are the same as the J-head yes. Otherwise, no joy. Looks like I am going to have to buy a generic one and modify it. Not the end of the world. I will keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone posts some of the dimensions.

thanks SB, I called H&W today. Sadly, nogo on nearly any parts for the cherrying head. Parts that are the same as the J-head yes. Otherwise, no joy. Looks like I am going to have to buy a generic one and modify it. Not the end of the world. I will keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone posts some of the dimensions.
I Did you try the practical machinist site , I'm a member there but spend most of my time here. Ill try if I can get some stuff done for the drs

Back