Breach plug Sealing Tool

epanzella

Active User
Registered
A McSavage 45 that I built about 5 years ago came back with a problem. The bolt wouldn't close on a fresh primer. It turned out the smokeless muzzle loader was used for some all day pouring rain hunts and the shoulder that the breach plus seals against had rusted, spacing out the plug further towards the bolt preventing it from closing. I took the barrel off and spent an hour and a half dialing in the breach plug bore just to make a .002 cut that lasted 5 seconds. The rust was now gone but there were some tiny chatter marks that I just wasn't happy with. I didn't want to take any more off so I thought it was time to fab a tool for this. I made a replica breach plug with a 5/16" hole reamed thru it. Into the hole goes a shaft wit a pad on the end to take a glue on piece of 200 emery that is the same size as the shoulder the breach plug seals against. This shaft can be driven with a drill to polish that shoulder. I put a standard hex on the end of the shaft so it can be driven with an extension so in the future it can be used without taking the gun apart. Only the bolt needs to be removed. This finished product works great leaving a mirror finish.

Attachments

• DSC_2819.JPG
    DSC_2819.JPG
    438.8 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_2820.JPG
    DSC_2820.JPG
    459 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_2821.JPG
    DSC_2821.JPG
    457.6 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_2822.JPG
    DSC_2822.JPG
    371.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
That's what we like to hear, problem solved. Its a good looking piece of work, too.

Back