Brazing with Romex It works!

We used to use bailing wire as a filter rod on mild steel when using oxygen acetylene torch. Can't even find bailing wire any longer. Everyone has gone to twine to avoid hardware disease.

Jeff: Some borax-based flux would give even better results I bet
It's like soldering with copper :) almost
-Mark

Copper would be great for an artistic connection on stuff, but not a strong bond for any seriously loaded structure.

Nice to know but due to coppers low tensile strength probably not practical. I've used coat hangers years ago, as a kid because I couldn't afford bronze rod. but a waste of time
Back in the 80’s.... when I absolutely knew nothing and was too lazy to go to a library to read up.... an old guy showed me how to weld exhaust pipes with coat hangers. That’s what I did for almost 15 years until I finally got a mig welder For my shop. Brings back memories.

bailing wire can be purchased at better hardware stores....Tractor supply....and I think I’ve purchased some at a Harbor Freight too. I love bailing wire.

A penny weld (copper braze) is a lot better than a failed forge weld and it fumes less than spelter. Under most circumstances, low fuming brass is better for torch brazing. It melts at a lower temperature, and flows in better and cleaner, especially with a slightly oxidizing flame. It is also inexpensive, although not as cheap as salvaged Romex, which you can't install anyway. I think that the Romex might have a better use as stock for making small amounts of shibuichi.

bailing wire can be purchased at better hardware stores....Tractor supply....and I think I’ve purchased some at a Harbor Freight too. I love bailing wire.
I was at the local tractor supply this morning, they had a stack of bailing/mechanics wire.

I've got a long run of 50-70yo that I yanked out of the attic.
The stuff has a black/silver jacket. (I need to research what the material is, asbestos probably?)
I wonder if the quality of the copper is better than what's available today?

I've got a long run of 50-70yo that I yanked out of the attic.
The stuff has a black/silver jacket. (I need to research what the material is, asbestos probably?)
I wonder if the quality of the copper is better than what's available today?
electrical copper is supposed to be first use,99.9% pure

Back