Brass tipped screws, how are they made?

I've made these quick and dirty before. Turn a brass pin with a smaller diameter than the hole it will go into. Drill out the end of a screw, doesn't need to be very deep. Put the brass pin in and squish it. Can be with the TS of a lathe, or in a bench vise. Finally turn the squished brass down to look pretty. I made a little fixture to do this on the lathe that worked great.

I made mine by drilling and tapping the end and screwing in the brass tip with locktight then threading the full length of the bolt.

If you are looking for an interference fit. Pressing brass into steel. And the brass shears off when you press it in. That totally defeats the purpose of trying to achieve an interference fit. Because you just sheared off that interference material that would have made a tight fit. You need FINESSE, proper sizing, smooth surfaces and applying hot and cold correctly.

A drop of Loctite or super glue in the hole will substitute for an interference fit. I use that method to make drill extensions and have never had one fail.

Thanks to your memory of the name , I have found the thread :)

Ohhh... that is very cool. I need to add this one as a future project. Bookmarked!

Yes, that one is very nice. Here's another example, from an old book I have:

screwChuck.jpeg

If you are looking for an interference fit. Pressing brass into steel. And the brass shears off when you press it in. That totally defeats the purpose of trying to achieve an interference fit. Because you just sheared off that interference material that would have made a tight fit. You need FINESSE, proper sizing, smooth surfaces and applying hot and cold correctly.
You can make a mountain out of a mole hill if you want but press some brass into a bored hole in steel with some brass shearing off and then try to pull it out!

Occasionally I have seen brass tipped screws, like for a lathe spider. I'd like to make a spider and thought brass on the ends would be nice. McMaster has imperial socket head cap screws. Haven't found them yet for metric, but maybe I am searching for the wrong thing. I did find lots of metric set screws with brass tips, but not SHCS

How are they made? Is it just drill a hole in the bottom of the screw and press in a brass piece? I'm looking for M6 screws.

I found a way to make my own. I first prepare a slug (a short piece of round stock bored and threaded for the bolt I'm working with). I turn a hex nut onto the bolt, then the slug, then a second nut. With these tightened in place the slug mounts into the chuck. I then drill a hole (about .400) into the bolt. Next step is to turn a length of brass with a short nib (that .400 length) to fit into that hole. I leave enough additional brass on the length for finishing the piece later. Then I sweat the brass nib into the hole and return the hole shebang to the chuck and turn down the finished tip before removing the hex nuts and slug.
(the image "on blue" is pretty ugly cuz it was just after it came out of the Oxpho-Blue solution)

Attachments

• IMG_20211002_150423197.jpg
    IMG_20211002_150423197.jpg
    339.3 KB · Views: 16
  • Slug 1.jpg
    Slug 1.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 16
  • On Chuck.jpg
    On Chuck.jpg
    473.3 KB · Views: 15
  • On blue.jpg
    On blue.jpg