Brass Gravity Feed Oilers- Which do I buy, how do I install?

dalee link=topic=2705.msg18398#msg18398 date=1310143827 said:
Hi,

The ones I've used were pipe threaded on the end. I have used 1/8" and 1/4" pipe with these. I think I can remember a 3/8" pipe on a big old Blanchard on the headways.

My biggest complaint with these types of oilers is getting them set. They seem to have two settings, too little or too much. That and people tend to forget to turn them on prior to using the machine. And then if they do turn them on, they forget to turn them off. Which allows for all the oil to drain out and generally make a mess. I also don't like how they tend to attract dust and dirt. If you look at the stem, you see a cross hole drilled right above the threaded part. That's open to the environment, no cover. So you get dirt and dust caked in there and then the oiler stops working. Otherwise, I like them fine. ;D :p

dalee

Sounds like they are attractive- but a lot of trouble. I presume you use adapters in case the openings don't match the pipe thread on the end.

Nelson

Last edited by a moderator:
I just love how these things look, so I may order one or two just to put on a machine or two.

Nelson

I'm with you Nelson, "more cool doodads"! That's going to be something I have to add to my SB 11" just for the "cool" factor alone. :)

-Ron

There is a place for one on the lever collet closer, and on the headstock to replace the Gits oilers. The brass looks much nicer than the silver Gits and the glass let's you see the level.

Nelson

I've seen both open and glass or plastic covered drip gaps. I believe there may be a minor difference in flow due to pressure/vacuum break effect, but adjustments compensate.

This thread reminds me that I need to go repo a couple of those off a 1913 American lathe I gave to a friend who just has it sitting out in the weeds. I doubt he'll ever do anything with it, so I may as well get those oilers back.

Back