Brand new PM1030V, never used a lathe before, what do I need?

PrettyHateMachining

Eraser
Registered
Hi guys,

I've literally never even seen a lathe in person before my PM1030V arrived yesterday. I'll be turning almost exclusively round steel stock for mostly artistic purposes (so crazy accuracy is not required generally). I mostly make steel art and weapons so things like decorative handles, pommels and other stuff like that.

Thanks in advance!

This may be to late but better than never, I assume you have seen the 1030v thread by now but in case you have not this is what I recommend. First things first clean everything, I used wd40 and to clean everything wipe all the rust inhibitor off and proceeded to adjust gibs, I also disassembled the chucks and cleaned them and assembled them again. And the next thing Iwould say to do but it it is a little more involved is flush and change the oil in the apron and the gear box.

You need some basic lathe bits, obviously, and I would suggest looking into a quick-change tool post (AXA?) for your lathe if one is available (ask Matt?). Reason I suggest that is because when I'm doing artsy stuff I'm switching out cutters quite a bit, e.g. cutting in opposite directions, angled shoulder vs. perpendicular, etc., and a quick-change saves a boatload of time going back and forth from cutter to cutter.

I would also suggest a small radius turning tool for doing radius' like on a pommel and whatnot. If you could find one that fit into a tool holder for you quick-change that might be ideal. Or you could make one, or have someone here make one for you.

That's all I have at the moment and off the top of my head. :)

If you will want to machine profiles/curves, this thread on gravers is worth reading. You can make a lot of different shapes with gravers, just takes time and practice, like everything else.

Gravers thread by Mikey

Send it to me, I've never run that lathe before, myself. But,i'll spend two months checking it out and send it back with a report.

Back