Brand new PM 1030v Not powering on..

eddygara

Registered
Registered
Just got my new machine in on Thursday and was happy with how well this machine was packed and shipped, very superb on Matthews part! Getting up one flight of stairs and down another too get it into my basement alone was not easy task. So i have to do it in pieces.

The the carriage, tail stock, apron, chuck, chip guards, and gearbox for the lead screw where removed in order to make it lighter. Everything but the gear box, and electricals, and bed where removed. After assembly I plugged it into the my power outlet and i got no response. No noise coming from the motor starting, no lights switching on, nothing!

I checked to see if maybe the key from the gearbox panel wasn't properly making contact. I removed it from the panel and connected it directly, still wouldn't run. I replaced both fuses from the front and the back of the machine, still wouldn't turn on. I also tried multiple plugs in my basement thinking that was the issue, but still no luck. Every time i insured the chuck guard was down, and the emergency stop was not pressed down.

Am I missing another step? Maybe there is another key im missing to check? Is there maybe a motor start that could have been knocked lose, and i didn't check? What has me worried is that when plugged i get no response. Not even a light to indicate power in coming through the machine. I just got my volt meter to check the output of my house plugs to insure that not the problem. Any other ideas? I would contact Matt, but i only found this problem yesterday after 5pm, so they were closed, and i would be able to get in contact with Matt until Monday.

I really hope i didn't get a lemon.

One of the many safety interlock switches?
Pierre

One of the many safety interlock switches?
Pierre
The thing is I don't know where too start. I can't find a lot of information on this machine other then the manual. The documentation I read didn't have anything about safety switches or how to troubleshoot them.

The only trouble shooting I found was was making sure the E-stop wasn't engaged, and that the chuck shield was down before start up.

There was a post recently by another member that had start up problems like you have, I will see if I can find it.

There was a post recently by another member that had start up problems like you have, I will see if I can find it.
I saw his post. It was a problem with the gear box hood key not connecting. I tried what he did as well, and still didn't start for me.

I have not dug around for the documents on this machine, but it might have safety switches on some of the belt or gears covers. etc.
That's where I'd start.
-brino

EDIT: and welcome to the site!

I am here if you want to give me a call or email, but if all of that was removed, check it carefully. It has to be either the end cover switch, chuck guard switch, etc. Or something else that was taken off and maybe missed, Id double check all of those, there is not a whole lot on that machine. If it was taken that far apart, could be about anything. Also make sure you are putting it in Forward or Reverse first, (F or R) or it wont spin.

I am here if you want to give me a call or email, but if all of that was removed, check it carefully. It has to be either the end cover switch, chuck guard switch, etc. Or something else that was taken off and maybe missed, Id double check all of those, there is not a whole lot on that machine. If it was taken that far apart, could be about anything. Also make sure you are putting it in Forward or Reverse first, (F or R) or it wont spin.

Just found the issue. After a bit of digging I found that one of 2 plastic screws on the motor wasn't all the way tight. I guess this wasn't allowing a proper connection too the motor. That as well as putting the switch on f got it up and running! Thanks again everyone!!

Back