• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Guest,  We want to wish You and Your Family a Healthy, Happy Thanksgiving! Click the "X" at the top right corner to remove this notice)
  • PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Brand New Harbor Freight Band Saw Pulley Messed Up!!

Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Wisrianni

just got a new HF band saw and noticed a loud noise in the pulley housing opened it up took the pulley off put it in my lathe and bam saw this.
what a joke.

Billh50

Active User
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I would take my camera and the saw back to HF and tell them I want another one in exchange. I have had no issues with mine other than alignment of guides to cut straight. I fixed that myself with a shim in the right place. Also our local HF has no problem taking stuff back if within the warranty time.

Chip Maker

I don't think you should be so fast in condemning HF so fast. These kind of things happen with many of the suppliers from time to time. I would first call your local store and see if they will just give you the pulley before you have to load the saw up and take the whole thing back. To be really nice they may even give you one off a saw they have in the store instead of waiting for one from their parts department. I guess I just don't let this kind of thing bother me to much if they handle the repairs. Seems odd that just the outer part of the pulley is all that is out of wack. Good luck !!!

Billh50

Active User
I thought the same thing about only the outer part being out of wack. My first thought was maybe the saw took a good hit and bent the end of the pulley somehow. And if that was the case maybe the transmission had some problems because of it. That was why I suggested getting a different saw. Either way stuff does happen from time to time and I know I have had good experiences with HF and would not put them down over 1 or 2 problems with things.
My experience with Inspections of Parts in a production house is this. Depending on the quantity in a production run depends on how many they randomly check from that run. If they get no problems from the ones they check, then the whole batch is accepted. That does not mean that there are no bad ones. So on occasion someone will get a bad part. This happens even with the best manufacturers. It is when it happens quite often and with no help rectifying that I will say something bad.

brasssmanget

Active User
Kinda makes one wonder if those aren't three separate pieces pressed together.......

stupoty

Active User
Just a little run out then.

Looks a little like the had the part slip after the first two larger V grooves were cut.

Stuart

Billh50

Active User
Only reason I thought it got dropped is because even the hole is running out on the end. I would have thought the hole would be running good on end if the V was turned off center.

stupoty

Active User
Only reason I thought it got dropped is because even the hole is running out on the end. I would have thought the hole would be running good on end if the V was turned off center.
Ow, humm yeah, thats odd. I can't even imagine how that works. When ever I've seen aluminium that bent or bashed I would expect massive ripples where it's kinda squigge'd or maybe tearing.

Stuart

kd4gij

Active User
Just take the saw back and get another one. I always open things up in the store before I buy it if possible , if not when I get it in my truck before I leave.

kvt

Active User
I have even had things like craftsman power tools bad from the box. They do not really inspect most things like a final QC any more. They do the random checks and if that is good, then the whole lot or the lot for the day is considered good. And the poor smuck that is board to tears putting the pulley on does not pay any attention to it he just slips it on and tightens the screw down.
The think looks like it the last was cut on a offset. maybe they were trying to make a cam.

TOOLMASTER

you don't want to know
The h saw i bought years ago seized in about a minute...no lube at all in the gearbox :confusion:

Getsome

Iron
Registered Member
Mine out of the box had problems also. The set screw for that pulley was stripped out. I had to drill and tape it bigger before I could use it.

royesses

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
Wow! I'd like to see the pattern that makes on a cut. crazy2.gif
My local HF won't cannibalize a display machine. They require an exchange machine or a call to HF for a replacement part.

Heckle and Jeckle

LOL, this reads like HF is selling off seconds & returns from Northern tool. I remember when HF was a flier sent, junk mail 1970, print stank then, just as the stores now.

Billh50

Active User
I have had some good luck with most of the stuff I have bought there. Being on a low fixed income keeps me from buying the top brands anyway. My 4x6 bandsaw is about 10yrs old and still works good. Had to replace the motor though because the plastic fan inside broke and froze the original. But I can't complain as it lasted 10yrs before it broke.

Reeltor

Active User
I'm surprised to see a machined aluminum pulley. When I was in the market for a horizontal band saw (the smallest, manual one that they sold) the display model had a stamped steel (mystery metal?) pulley. One of the reasons that I didn't buy a HF unit. What saw is this off of?
In any case---Return the entire saw; even IF parts are available, it will take months to have one shipped from China. As you said, the damage done to the pulley may also have caused some hidden damage that wont show up until 1-day after the warranty.

Mike

Billh50

Active User
Most of the pulleys I have seen on the chinese tools are cast. The bore, keyway, and setscrew hole are the only things machined.

Smithdoor

Active User
I have found most tools made china need work
At less it was low cost if it was my saw I would just new pully

Dave

[6]
5 [7]