Bp Series 1 Coolant Drains On Table

AxeMaker

Registered
Registered
Hello,

I just unclogged the coolant drains on the back corners of the table. I am wondering, how do I capture the fluid if the glass scale blocks access to the drain holes on both sides?

Edit... The scale belongs to the factory 2 Axis Newall DRO.

I have seen drain holes drilled in the front of the table, but unless you are using flood coolant, I wouldn't even worry about it. My fogless coolant system uses about a quart of fluid in 8 hours of spindle time. A shop vac cleans the residue up just fine.

Here is one example. I don't know anything about this particular product.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/111460485310?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Here is what I did:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/digital-mist-coolant-pump.40405/

Scroll down towards the bottom after looking at the schematic drawing on the first page. You don't need the pump at all, just a little more air pressure in the tank will do. Mine is all computer controlled, but manual control is just fine.

Ohhhh ! You are talking about a misting system. Yeah I have two I bought on the cheap but I have not put them in service yet.

By the way... very cool project!

Here is what I did for my coolant pump and it handles water based coolant easily... Of course there was some slight modifications to it like removing the original nozzle from the pump and putting a 8' hose on it which goes to my coolant nozzle. And, adding a drain return.

I used this on my small mill which has a chip tray so the chips for the most part just stay on the tray as the fluid drains.

At .6 GPM the pump would probably provide the perfect amount of coolant to the mister.

Homak 3 1/2-Gallon Portable Parts Washer

upload_2016-10-29_3-58-2.png

By the way... very cool project!

Thank you!

I never thought of using a parts washer for a flood coolant system, very cool idea.:encourage: And I'm guessing that the pump would be happy to supply a mist system. But probably not actually needed because of the venturi in the mister. Mine is pressurized because there is no venturi, the pump provides positive control of the fluid independent of the air pressure. Sometimes I go overkill just because I can.:grin:

So back to your original question, I see two options:
  • Relocate your DRO scale to the front of the table, which is my prefered location.
  • or, drill & tap new drain holes in the front of your table.

Ugh... I will need to get out there and see what's involved... I wonder if there is a low profile EL I can install maybe???
Actually more pressing now that I am thinking about repairs etc... is getting a X-Axis Feed. Mine is toast unless I can find parts somewhere on the cheap.

Can you space the scale away from the table enough to make the drain work? Although you will lose some table travel if you do. I have my scale on the front of the table.

Back