[Newbie] Boy Did I Mess Up W/ A Ball Mill. Pics. Resolved

It also is a pejorative, and because we perhaps have some here with limited computer experience and hence could offend them, let's leave off that subject.

Yes! I heard that recently. Jim D has a formula too.. I think a diesel mix??? Anyway- Which is better WD40 or Kero? I know which is cheaper ;-)

Mill is powered up. Going to reset my F&S and mill the cutout via the .25 slot. Wish me luck. ;-)

kerosene also works well on aluminum for a lube while machining.

I agree- Good call- And I did have the firmly pointed at myself.

It also is a pejorative, and because we perhaps have some here with limited computer experience and hence could offend them, let's leave off that subject.

I was using a 50/50 Wd-40/kero mix. Just using WD-40 now, smells better and works just as well. If you are going to be running quit a bit of aluminum, getting end mills designed for aluminum would be a good idea. They have a higher shear angle and more chip clearance.

Yes! I heard that recently. Jim D has a formula too.. I think a diesel mix??? Anyway- Which is better WD40 or Kero? I know which is cheaper ;-)

Mill is powered up. Going to reset my F&S and mill the cutout via the .25 slot. Wish me luck. ;-)

When I don't want to run coolant or mist I use a 50/50 mix of kerosene and WD-40 in a spray bottle. Use air to evacuate the chips.

On ball end mills in aluminum I have run them up to two diameters deep full width but they are 2-flute with flood coolant and run at finish speeds.

The more I use my CNC mill the more I appreciate good quality carbide cutters.

Also the kerosene/WD-40 mix is great for spraying on all machine surfaces after using coolant.

Jay

Guys! I got it done. pulled off a clean up on the mess up. I think I figured out a much simpler way. Less Drilling and screwing This stuff is just amazing guys. Ya'll really impress the Kid and I.

Back to Aluminum; My first run was not the greatest setup- But I did exercise many of the Centroid functions. and looped drilling and Milling w/ a Knee move all on 1 CAM set. In short- It works. I am going to cut 1 more... See if I can make this work better still. The edge on short image was the messed up chamfer from the first photos.

Hint- My son is getting really good at Design and creative Fab and is interviewing w/ Detroits very own College of Creative studies! You all get a bow for helping us!

THANKS EVERYONE! Ya'll Rock.
photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

Last edited:
Its been my experience that the coated endmills like the one in photo have a tendency to chip weld when milling aluminum. I prefer uncoated for aluminum or a aluminum specific endmill with appropriate coating.

michael

Looking at the tool marks the feed rate seems a bit high, you are milling not threading (-:

Back