Boxford/South Bend?

macrnr

Active User
Registered
Does anyone know if Boxford parts interchange with South Bend? I have a brand new apron that looks very similar to my South Bend 10K. There are few minor differences, but they look almost identical. We bought a box of lathe parts that include a Boxford headstock, Boxford quick change gear box, South Bend bed, South Bend guard, Rockwell tailstock, and the apron that I assume is Boxford. Bought this stuff from a scientist from Los Alamos, who was trying to make a Frankenlathe. Everything kind of fits together, but I see why he gave it up. I know the Hercus lathe is a clone that interchanges with South Bend, not sure about the Boxford.

South Bend did not like other parts to work on there lathe because they would not sell parts. They did make some changes so this would not happen, but try to run it with the parts you have and see what happens. It might work in some area and not in others but could work by adding the right SB or Boxford parts. Show us some pics to see what you have and see what is missing for us to give some advice. Cross slide and beds for SB were fit together at factory, but might luck out to get one to fit. Check mating parts to see how they fit while apart like lead screw and apron to make sure you have the right threads for it.
Paul

Back