Boxford lathe moving

1st Cav Craig

Registered
Registered
This is my first post. I have a chance to purchase two Boxford VSL lathes, one in working condition and an identical one for "parts". They are being sold as a pair so I have to buy both. They are dirty from storage but otherwise complete and with tooling. They are in the same city I live in and only about 5 miles away. How does one go about moving one of these? On a budget and really can't afford a rigger. Would a rental truck with rear lift work? Could I disassemble and move part by part? Any advice would be appreciated

A trailer is a better idea than a box truck with the box up on top of the frame. Better than a pickup, too. Lathes are quite top heavy and will easily tip over. Lift gates can also get scary if you are not used to using them. Be careful! If you can come up with something to tow it with, I recommend a drop deck (AKA drop bed) trailer...
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...bed+trailers&qpvt=drop+bed+trailers&FORM=IGRE
More and more rental yards have them...

A trailer is a better idea than a box truck with the box up on top of the frame. Better than a pickup, too. Lathes are quite top heavy and will easily tip over. Lift gates can also get scary if you are not used to using them. Be careful! If you can come up with something to tow it with, I recommend a drop deck (AKA drop bed) trailer...
https://www.bing.com/images/search?...bed+trailers&qpvt=drop+bed+trailers&FORM=IGRE
More and more rental yards have them...
Thank you Bob for the quick reply! I did not realize or think about the top heavy nature of the machine. I will take your advice and rent such a trailer.

Yep trailer is the way to go put them on back to back with wood between and strap them together.
Brian.

I don't know the size or weight of these machines; with that said when I had to move my lathe and shaper I lag bolted (screwed) the machine into extra long skids made from 4 x 4's then bolted cross members to these skids to keep the machine from tipping over. Definitely use a trailer instead of a box type truck! Bob's idea of a drop deck trailer is one way to go or if you have a pallet jack a tilt trailer may work too. Lathes are top heavy and will tip over in a heartbeat, be careful and safe.

Mike

Hi Bob is on the money, a trailer is the way to go. I moved a Boxford 11-30 on a trailer similar to the link below.
We travelled about 180 miles with it and no problem, just pulled it up the ramps with block and tackle then secured it with ratchet straps [as used on trucks], take care to make sure you know what your doing or ask if you have no experience of doing such things as Bob says lathes are top heavy . John

https://www.bing.com/images/search?...c215a90aac0648f84d7b8dd0a291b41eo0&ajaxhist=0

I don't know how big Boxford lathes get, the ones I have seen are pretty light, though I am by no means a Boxford expert. Light lathes are easier to move, but just as top heavy, and major damage is just one dumb move away. Take your time, do it right, take off your macho man hat and put on your " I don't want to hurt me, my lathe, or my helpers" hat instead. One "OH SH**! can take lots of work and money to get partially back to where you started from, assuming no one gets hurt. Take it slow and easy, and think about every move in advance. If it sounds or looks dicey, it is dicey...

Weight of the machine I moved is 450kg or 990 pounds yours will be a little less I guess !

We used 4 straps 2 front and 2 rear threaded through to bed on either side then tightened up so that there was equal load on each side to prevent the machine tipping over. We also had skates attached to move it onto the trailer then removed them for transport. At home no problem just lifted it off with a forklift on a tractor. As Bob says do take great care but don't be put off just think it through.

Disassemble as much as possible, anything you can take off first will make the job easier. Have fun and be careful.
Mark S.

Moved my AUD Boxford 5 times without mishap.
yes it is top heavy , so be careful..
Go buy a half dozen strap clamps
First move the carriage to the far right to offset the headstock weight.
Remove the tailstock, storage contents and the doors so they do not fall off during the move .
Not sure if your VSL Door is removable . Raise the motor with the handle so the belt does not stretch from shaking.
The headstock end (Left side) is very heavy !
DO NOT strap around the bed as is, you will damage the leadscrew !
I like to come under the bed, then go up and over the internal braces (bed way spreaders) between the ways and then down and out under the other side of the bed.
In other words, no straps go "over" the V surfaces of the ways, but are under the bed. This puts no forces on the leadscrew. Another method is to use short 2 x4 's ( 9 to 10 ") to extend the straps far enough over the top of the bed to not hit the leadscrew.
Since you have two VSL's , be sure to have a long 2x4 (4 feet) so they can be located side by side and one 2x4 can clamp them both down.

If you have help, to move the lathe , you can use a refrigerator dollly under the head stock end of the bed and a strong man on the tailstock end ---Do not come from the side ! I tilt my head stock back and put a dolly under the base and move it CAREFULLY...as it is top heavy !

Rich
Boxfords are worth the effort !

Back