Bought a Clausing 5904

bob phil

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
I have an old Logan lathe that has served me well for the past 10 years. Time for an upgrade so I bought a Clausing 5904 just got it home have not turned it on yet. I bought it without seeing it run. Need to get a plug for the three-phase. It came with a collet closer, set of 5-C collets. taper attachment, and a bunch of these tapered things about 4" long that I have no idea what they are (see 3rd photo).

Attachments

• IMG_2045.jpeg
    IMG_2045.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2044.jpeg
    IMG_2044.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 70
Another nice machine . I had a 5904 here and it went to a member here . The tapered pieces don't go with the machine .

That looks like a solid machine that will clean up nicely and doesn't show signs of rough use. Clausing is still pretty good about supporting the older machines so if you wind up needing common things like nuts/leadscrews, they're usually available and often not as expensive as you might expect.

Looks good. I happen to have a 5914, converted to VFD. See threads under Clausing section.

Well i got the lathe running today. No variable speed. Just stays constant. The variable speed handle will creep.

Well i got the lathe running today. No variable speed. Just stays constant. The variable speed handle will creep.
That's almost always air in the system. For starters, the manuals Clausing published have a typo for the correct oil for the hydraulic system.
They made a mistake when they switched to ISO and were off by a full weight. You want ISO 46 oil for the hydraulics (and the headstock). The apron and QCGB use ISO 68, but a lot of folks use ISO46 there as well.

Make sure the upper cylinder has oil, then turn on the lathe (no need to engage the chuck) and hold the speed dial at it's lowest setting for 30 seconds, then release and turn it to the highest speed (even if the speed doesn't change) and repeat. It can take a dozen tries doing that. Often after five or six tries you'll get a little bit of speed changed, then a bit more, then a bit more...that sort of thing.

I would highly suggest joining the Clausing Lathe Mill Group page....tons of info, including instructions for getting the VS system working properly.

If it's really been a long time, or the system was drained you may have to bleed it similar to a car's brake system.

This procedure will work much easier with 2 people....be careful!

- Fill upper cylinder with oil

- Start lathe and crack hydraulic hose at lower pulley cylinder.

- With the lathe running, slowly turn to high speed, just before reaching high speed, close hydraulic hose on lower pulley cylinder. Turn to low speed.

- Stop the lathe and repeat the previous steps.

- You may need to repeat this process a dozen times before all the air is bled from the system.

Once you have the system responding you can do stop cracking the fitting and switch to holding the speed control at the lowest setting for 30 seconds, then advancing to highest speed and back again.

Thank you very much, I will work on that.

Nice score. Looks like original paint is pretty intact and doesnt appear ro be used too hard.

I wanted to post this doc I got from the Clausing - Lathe and mill group. VARIABLE SPEED SERVICE TIPS. bulletin. I found it and the great advice given here very helpful. Maybe I can get this Lathe up and running with your help. Thank you

Attachments

• VARIABLE SPEED SERVICE TIPS.pdf
    198.8 KB · Views: 3
Back