Boring Hole

@Little-Eagle - so, were you able to resolve your finish issue?

Hi Mikey,
I was hoping to have a go at it on Sunday, but I ended up being in a car accident on Saturday night, spent the night in hospital and now have a few aches and pains.

Hopefully in the next week or so I can get out there and adapt some of the things that have been suggested

Damo

Damo( Little-Eagle), Glad you are alright, you should thank your lucky stars if made it out of a car accident with a few aches and pains, hope you get well soon.

Hi Mikey,
I was hoping to have a go at it on Sunday, but I ended up being in a car accident on Saturday night, spent the night in hospital and now have a few aches and pains.

Hopefully in the next week or so I can get out there and adapt some of the things that have been suggested

Damo

Wow, hope you're okay. Get well, the bore can wait.

I think your speed is sufficient, the issue I see is the feed, the slower you feed the better the finish. if you can't feed automatically then try increasing your RPM to compensate for your feed rate. My mill has 3 feed settings per RPM , .003, .006 , .0015.
Also depending on how good your cutting edge is will determine how much of a cut you can take, try reducing the depth of cut. since its mild steel .030 should work fine. Again finish is a product of feed rate , RPM, and cutter condition. It may take a little experimentation to get the desired combination
I would suspect that a .030" DOC is a bit ambitious for that set up.

I've done .030 on mild steel with no problems, again it's only a suggestion, if it chatters or bogs down, back off on the doc

Back