Boring Head Interchangeability

Hi Ken
Thanks, I will keep those options in mind. My goal is to keep cost as low as possible as well as build machining skills.
I'm retired so in general the time consideration is just the delicate balance between learning and paying someone else, which sometimes is considerably cheaper.
I don't know anything about plasma cutting or how much it would harden the edges. I was considering water jet as a backup, because when I torch cut the components I experienced hardening well beyond what I would expect for A36. HSS cutters really didn't like it.
So for a little background. This is a mesquite grubber attachment for the excavator. The 5" holes go "through the ears" for the pin bosses which I am turning on the lathe. I can fit to the hole but the holes need t
be aligned through both plates (ears) (the uppermost part of the cardboard mockup pic) for proper pin alignment. The first pic in this thread are the cut plates.
The second pic here is a medium hardness shaft that I am considering turning down to a single piece R8 boring head holder. Any thoughts?
IMG_2962.JPG IMG_2959.jpg

Last edited:
I would go rent a mag base drill and buy an annular cutter for the hole size needed and get after it. A annular cutter of that size probably around $75 - $100. One cutter should do the job. Use a good cutting oil with the cutter. Ken

Nearly finished with the project.
I ended up tacking the two parts together and mounting them on the rotary table using a centering pin. I rotated and remounted for the area that remained due to contact with the column.
There are some obvious mistakes in the construction but I think It will work ok. grubber.jpg

Plum creek, I'm just curious are you affiliated with plum creek shooting club off of namless rd?

No, but I have to admit I had to look that up because I had never heard of it. Plum Creek headwaters near Kyle and runs through the ranch near Uhland.

Back