Boring Bar Preference

JPigg55

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I'm needing o order some boring bars for use in lathe and mill.
Which type(s) do you find most useful either for individual or both machines ?
For my lathe, I'm considering dedicated shank style set for QCTP boring bar holder, but also looking at the index-able cutter style or double ended individual replaceable cutting tool bit type.
For mill, looking to either go with boring bar head with the thought of being able to use the same QCTP dedicated shank style set boring bars of going with double ended individual replaceable cutting tool bit.
Machines to be used on are SB 9A lathe and Clausing 8520 mill.
Factors I'm considering are length for depth of cut, shank diameter for stability/rigidity, and ease of sharpening vs replaceable index bits.
Having never purchased any before, my impressions based on pictures are:
1. Either double ended individual replaceable cutting tool bit or index-able style seem to be longer allowing deeper boring, but limited on shank size due to mill using MT2 collets along with longer overall length tending to allow more flex
2. Dedicated set seems like it would work well for QCTP and boring bar head making them useable with both machines, however, with shorter overall length and not being sure of boring bar head shank size availability for MT2 collets with corresponding hole size for boring bars.
Current QCTP boring bar holder I have came with the set I ordered (newby mistake) with take a 5/8 or 3/4 shank. So going with dedicate due to same shank size my end up costing more due to the need to purchase a different tool holder for QCTP and boring bar head for mill.
Overall, interested in opinions of which styles are your preference and/or most useful.

I think you'll struggle to get a set that will work well with both the lathe and the mill. I'd suggest getting one of those HSS boring bar sets for a boring head for the mill and a 1/4>3/4 indexable set for the lathe. The last suggestion because it gives you more flexibility with depth of hole as you can (hopefully) step up to a larger diameter and stiffer bar. You can also make boring bars really easily, which might be another option. I made a 7/16in threading/grooving/boring bar which is dead handy and I plan to make a 1/2in or 3/4in one at some point too, just have to make a QCTP holder that will hold them.

Back