Books on pressing stuff (forging as well as cold)

Flynth

Registered
Registered
I'm looking for some beginner books on plastic forming of metals on presses. Both for hot metals as in forging and cold.

I found some academic style books used in my country, but they're written for someone who has sat through a university course on the subject and are full of equations and have none of the basics.

So I though to ask here. I read some really good old books on milling, lathe operations, surface grinding, metrology etc. What about (press) forging and pressing? How can an amateur learn the basics?

I don't have any specific books to suggest to you, but maybe more of a suggestion. I really like the old textbooks and handbooks, say from the early 1900's. I like how they explain a topic using basic & understandable terms, where modern texts might gloss over the basics and dive into chapters of advanced equations..
On my desk I keep a copy of Kent's Mechanical Engineers Handbook (co 1938) along with my Machinery's Handbook. I don't know if the Audel's series of books goes into forming and foundry, but I like their style too.
Have you tried google books: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&q=metal+forming

The general textbooks from 1880-1940 are great. Everything we know about metal working in the non-digital/non-fea world was fully understood by the turn of the 20th century. I've found more useful information in the classical texts than I have on Google. Several old texts have chapters on forming, Moltrecht included, IIRC...

I too find those types of books preferable. If anyone can recommend any specific titles that have some info on metal forming please let me know.

And thanks for the search term. I didn't know they call it metal forming. I'll do my own searching too.

When I started diving into metalworking, I felt the same frustration with overly academic books. For pressing and forging basics, I stumbled upon "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Metalworking" and "Forging Fundamentals for Dummies." They were pretty handy. You can also find reviews on them at bookwormera.com. Good luck!

Back