bobcad-cam

I looked at bobcad, even talked to a rep. I decided to go with the Aspire software from Vetric.
I am very happy with Aspire. I would not trade Aspire for bobcad. It is easy to learn, even if you
have no experience with cad programs. it has the ability to trace bitmap images and convert them to vectors.
you can also node edit and manually trace images and convert them to 3d relief images.
It awesome!

I started with V23 then upgraded to V24. I use it to generate code for my Haas TL 2. I have done some pretty fancy 3D parts with it. I found it to be relativly easy to learn even having never programed before. I am pretty impressed with it. I now have V25 waiting to be downloaded with the lathe add on. Lokking forward to playing with it. For the money you cant beat it. I will tell you to make sure you talk to a knowlegable computer geek to make sure your computer is set up for it. I have a dedicated desk top just for my bob-cad and have no issues.

I use Alibre and BobCAD V25. V25 was a very nice upgrade from V24 and I think worth the cost of the upgrade. I find it pretty easy to use. I do have some CAD experience starting way back with AutoCAD R13. The combination of Alibre and BobCAD are a very affordable CAD/CAM combination, considering that SolidWorks can cost upwards to $20K, I think both Alibre and BobCAD for under $1000 is a deal. The best advice I can give is to talk to the sales folks directly and tell them what you need and how much you are willing to spend. Both Alibre and BobCAD came through with good pricing.

Its nice to see someone agree with me about Bobcad. Question though, why do you use the Alibre in combination with Bobcad? Is there something I am missing? I do all my drawing in Bobcad. Just want to know if there is a better way. Thanks

Its nice to see someone agree with me about Bobcad. Question though, why do you use the Alibre in combination with Bobcad? Is there something I am missing? I do all my drawing in Bobcad. Just want to know if there is a better way. Thanks

The main reasons I use Alibre is that it is a parametric design and it supports assemblies.

My work flow typically starts with an empty assembly and I add parts as I go. The main assembly I'll use to represent the project in it's assembled form. I may use additional assemblies, with the same parts, to represent them either in sheet form (say for my CNC router) or how they are held in fixtures. Alibre also allows me to take my assemblies/parts and create drawings from them.

The parametric design allows me to "quickly" change designs and have it cascade through assemblies and drawings. Alibre has a plug-in that allows you to externalize parameters in an excel spreadsheet, which can be useful for maintaining multiple revisions or versions of a project.

As of today, Alibre Design no longer exists.

It's now called "Geomagic" (aka Alibre 2013!)

I'd love to know who came up with THAT name! Alibre at least sounded somewhat pro'ish. Geomagic sounds like something the Atari or Amiga crowd would have named something in the 80's. sigh.

I now return you to your regular thread. :D

Back