bobcad-cam

davidh

Active User
Registered
im looking at a taig mini mill with bobcad-cam programming on it. who has experience with this program and can tell me if its any godd or difficult for a newby in the cnc world to learn easily ?

thanks in advance.
davidh

hi david
i'm not a lot of help here
I looked at bobcad/cam and it looked nice but i have no money so
what i use for my sherline is emachineshop and d2nc total cost $79.00 and really easy to use
the only problem i have with d2nc is islands in pockets but i have figured out work arounds
i also use mach3
steve

Davidh

I have access to a Taig CNC machine at work. It was bought with BobCad-Cam (21), but the computer crashed. I could recover the Mach3 license but not the one for BobCad. I decided not to get a new license for BobCad (which would lock me into their CAD package, but rather use a simple CAM package such as Cut2D to work on the downstream dxf files from Inventor.

So if you do not have a CAD package, then BobCad is apparently a nice package. If you are already familiar with a CAD package, then the alternative route is to use dedicated CAM software. Both strategies work for straightforward 2.5 axis milling. I suspect that you might get more freedom if you want to use the 4th axis.

Hope it give you some ideas.

Johann

I use CAMBAM myself, I have heard good things about BobCad but it's pricey!

I have both GibbsCam and BobCad V23. BobCad has to me the most cumbersom software I have ever used. Yes, it's cheap, but by the time you pay for the software, pay for training, pay for tech support, there are a lot of other CAM software packages thay will do as good a job for a lot less money.

Watch some posts on other sites and see why BobCad has earned the nickname BobCrap.

I use my GibbsCam to program my Tormach PCNC1100. My thinking is, I have $18,000.00 invested in my GibbsCam. I may as well use what I have.

I do not have any experience with bobcad/cam I do however have some tutorials found on the web, some from youtube etc. if you need them I can try to pull them together and burn you a disk

I have no direct experience with it myself, but an acquaintance that I respect tried it and his assessment was that is was awkward and not worth the cost.

I have been using Bobcad since version 16, nearly 15 years ago. It is cumbersome to draw with and depending on the version you have very easy to program with. I use version 21 for my home needs. Anybody actually wanting to buy it needs to realize Bobcad is sold like used carsmen sell stuff, call and inquire and then haggle, then do the oh its still to much, the version 21 sold for around $1500 when i bought it, I got it for $299 with training cd's and manuals. Let them call you a few times and you can have the new version 24 for probably around $500-$600.
PM me for any direct questions, I will try to answer or help.

thanks for the imput guys. . . the reason im asking about it is that a local dude has a taig mill with this program on the computer that goes with the mill. . . he says he's got about 5000 invested and would like to get half of that, or make him an offer. tomorrow im going to physically see it and hopefully watch him make something or do something with it. he was doing custom inlays on high end cue sticks but i guess he;s lost interest in it after 6 years or so. . . . my use would be small patterns and hobby stuff for myself and my casting and woodworking hobbys.

i think that i need to get everything on my bucket list tackled before i try the flying thing. we only have so many saturdays in our lives and im not ready to discover i just ran out. damm near did in november. . . a quick quad bypass seems to have allowed me more time. that and a dang watchful, caring wife. . . .

whew its mid 90's here in the frozen northland with nary a breeze. . . . . . thanks for the great air conditioning. . .

While I was attending school nearby, through the help of he Veterans Adminsitraion who bought me a student copy of Bobcad v24 with Bobart, Predator editor and Predator Virtual, I am a really really new noob to cnc. I have never used any cnc software. I have been able to figure my way through most of it with no outside help...I really like his software so far and having a blast sitting at home drawing and generating code then rying them out on the HAAS at the school....it is amazing what can be done with something as a picture in Bobart...Like I said, I am figuring it out having a blast and its a student copy of the Bobcad v24....

Back