Bluing or black oxiding your custom made tools?

I have been told the hot processes are far better (deeper penetration) Parkerizing is different as the surface contains phosphorous unlike bluing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

None of the processes work well if the steel has a large non Fe component like nickel or cobalt. For these cases it seems that plating something Nickel may be better (like stainless). Any recommendations for these cases?

None of the processes work well if the steel has a large non Fe component like nickel or cobalt. For these cases it seems that plating something Nickel may be better (like stainless). Any recommendations for these cases?

I disagree with this statement.

Higher nickel, chromium, makes it more difficult to get blackening.
Higher iron based materials, like cast irons, low carbon steels, blacken with a much deeper darker color.
Any true parkerizing process is heated to at least 190 degree F for best results.

Ken

Here are a couple of pieces I blued in the last few days with Brownells Oxpho-Blue. As you know this a cold process. Cleaned the parts with brake parts cleaner and then alcohol before the coating.

The slotting saw arbor I made (the screw is as supplied):
IMG_20170625_153615.jpg

An indicator clamping bar for a BXA tool holder:
IMG_20170629_155020.jpg

I also now use Caswell's "Black Oxide" kit. It's not actually a black oxide kit, it's a cold blue process also.

I've used Brownells Dicropan T4 in liquid & gel, Brownells Formula 44/40, Birchwood Perma Blue & Precision Brand Tool Black. I used to use the Dicropan the most but I like the Formula 44/40 better but it's expensive. I never got good results with the Precision Brand Tool Black. Dicropan would usually give me a glossy like black finish & Formula 44/40 would usually give me a deep flat black finish. I've heard the Oxpho-Blue works well but I never got around to trying any.

I use Caswell's blackener for stainless & liked it so I decided to try one of their steel blackeners. I'm sold on their Black Oxide formula & their sealer to go with it makes a really big difference. I get more consistent & deeper black than I have ever got using other products.

It might seem expensive initially but it really is not. Their black oxide solution is concetrated. You mix 1 part of the solution to something like 9 parts of water. So 1 pint will make over 1 gal of solution. Way cheaper than any of the other gun blues out there & it works really well. Withbthe others, sometimes I would have to heat the part to get better results, not with the Caswell stuff though. And again, I really like the sealer.

I can snap some photos & post them if you would like to see.

Okay Will, show us those photos! Do you have any photos of before and after the "sealer"? Doesn't it appear a bit chalky before you put the sealer on?

Here's a snippet from the MSDS for the sealer. From this we see the sealer is a mixture of ~80% mineral spirits and some mineral oil. I am assuming that the mineral spirits dilute the oil adequately to get it into the pores and then the the spirits evaporate. (Stoddard solvent = mineral spirits)

upload_2017-6-30_7-43-1.png

It never occured to me to look up what the sealer was, usually I'm curious about things like this too & look it up. Funny cause Caswell even includes the MSDS with all their products & I never even looked at it. Should be easy enough to make your own batch if you wanted to.

Mineral spirits & mineral oil makes sense though as the sealer does "dry off". I don't get flash rusting with it when I use it & it makes the finish more uniform. In the past I just used what I had laying around, WD40, way oil, machine oil, etc.

Well I snapped some pics with my phone. I remember these 2 parts to look darker when I did them. I guess after the sealer dries they get lighter. These are just mild steel.

(Adapter piece)
20170630_211928-800x590.jpg

20170630_211902-800x591.jpg

Here's my tool post wrench (middle).
Img_1952.JPG

As you can see the Caswell stuff is a flat finish rather than glossy. I did not get a chalky look before the sealer. Depending on the alloy I would get a chalky finish with Formula 44/40.

I don't have any photos before sealer. I need to redo the handle on one of my wrenches that came out very blotchy with Dicropan, I'll snap some pics of it when I do before I dunk in the sealer.

I am gonna need to come back to this thread! nice information!! and love the pictures of different results!

Back