Bling Ring

Fabrickator

Active User
Registered
I've been thinking about an idea for a while and I finally made my first attempt at it. I wanted to create a common Indian graphic design in aluminum for a mixed media "artsy" project that I have in mind. So yesterday I stopped by my metal supply house and bought a remnant of 3 1/2" 6061 tubing. I got home and cut off a 1/2" loop on my HF horizontal band saw (accuracy +/- .015"), trued both sides on my lathe, deburred and mounted it on my rotary table. I calculated the width and depth that I could get with my 45* spotting mill bit w/o breaking through the backside and here's what I got.

I'll post more pics as I continue with the next phase(s) of this project.

DRO's and Rotary Tables ROCK! :thumbzup:

IMG_0909.JPG IMG_0910.JPG IMG_0905.JPG

Fabrickator,

Nice job. How did you mount the ring on your rotary table?

Matt

Flat and set Z at .160" deep and came in .160" on X. Rotated every 15 degrees X 24 pockets . 15 X 24 = 360*. Exactly like you could for making a set of cam gears (2:1 = 12 tooth & 24 tooth). I used a 1/2" spotting bit (45* chamfer).

I'm on to my next step of filling the pockets with an alternating color inlay material of turquoise and jet black. My plan is to laminate this into some tiger maple and bubinga to turn a vase.

I finally got my inlay materials and semi-finished the bling ring. I gave it a quick polish to see if it would brighten up and it looks pretty good w/o close magnification. Once the vase is in the finishing stage, I'll hit the ring again and fine tune it.

One of the challenges was fashioning the end plates w/o distortion due to their size and thickness (3 1/2" OD X 3" ID x .065"). I ended up making a simple sandwich plate jig to turn the OD. Also, just trying to mount the completed ring in my chuck was precarious due to the thin nature, it could be easily distorted. I was really wishing I had a six jaw chuck.

I'm wasn't concerned with finishing the ends (although they could be polished) or the ID because of my future plan to incorporate it into a wooden vase.

The goal was: How to make a series of triangles in a thin wall (1/4"), round material with common machine shop equipment. I think that I accomplished that.

Materials List:
3" ID 6061 alum tubing
.065 5052 alum for the end plates
Inlace - retail inlay material/crushed turquoise and black stone
HF quick set epoxy

Equipment:
G0602 lathe
LMS Mini Mill w/ 1/2" spotting mill bit
HF Horizontal Bandsaw
2" Drum sander in drill press
10" buffing wheels

If some of you haven't seen of my woodworking projects, check out this link

http://www.projectsinmetal.com/forum/woodworking-projects/artsy-wood-projects/

Rick

IMG_0934.JPG IMG_0942.JPG IMG_0945.JPG IMG_0948.JPG IMG_0949.JPG IMG_0957.JPG

That is just beautiful!!!!!! I really like the color scheme and it will definitely be a one of a kind vase when you get it all done. How do you plan to seal the wood to hold liquids? Do you plan to use a glass insert or something else as creative as the ring?

Bob

Very nice! Can't wait to see the finished project!

Really nice work, would be cool to fill in the holes with resin. Maybe glow in the dark? That way you can't loose your finger at night and know where it is at all times :rofl:

I finished my other ring for the bottom of the vase I'm making. I have a half dozen designs in my head now, but this is the one I settled on for this project. It will have a long, slender bottom and so I made the inlay vertical to exaggerate that fact.

IMG_0978.JPG

I finally got my inlay materials and semi-finished the bling ring. I gave it a quick polish to see if it would brighten up and it looks pretty good w/o close magnification. Once the vase is in the finishing stage, I'll hit the ring again and fine tune it.

One of the challenges was fashioning the end plates w/o distortion due to their size and thickness (3 1/2" OD X 3" ID x .065"). I ended up making a simple sandwich plate jig to turn the OD. Also, just trying to mount the completed ring in my chuck was precarious due to the thin nature, it could be easily distorted. I was really wishing I had a six jaw chuck.

I'm wasn't concerned with finishing the ends (although they could be polished) or the ID because of my future plan to incorporate it into a wooden vase.

The goal was: How to make a series of triangles in a thin wall (1/4"), round material with common machine shop equipment. I think that I accomplished that.

Materials List:
3" ID 6061 alum tubing
.065 5052 alum for the end plates
Inlace - retail inlay material/crushed turquoise and black stone
HF quick set epoxy

Equipment:
G0602 lathe
LMS Mini Mill w/ 1/2" spotting mill bit
HF Horizontal Bandsaw
2" Drum sander in drill press
10" buffing wheels

If some of you haven't seen of my woodworking projects, check out this link