BLDC motor

Galileu

Registered
Registered
Hi everybody,

I am building a Brushless DC Motor, mostly from scrap material. It is a 100 mm OD outrunner and it is just a prototype to test my design and calculations.

I started with this DC generator, that I bought for 4 euros in a scrapyard and would provide the rotor drum.

The DC generator was dismantled, cut, turned and drilled and 2 end covers were manufactured from scrap aluminium.

The rotor will receive 12 magnets on the inner surface, which must be equally spaced, so this magnet spacer was made from PVC water tubing.

Finally the rotor drum was assembled; it is completed with the 2 end covers.

I've already done some work on the stator, built also from scrap material, but I will write about it once it is finished.

By the way, this work was done in a full size workshop and not in the mini lathe that I have in my garage.

I've made several changes to the initial design as the construction proceeded, partly because I couldn't always get the materials I wanted but partly also because I tried to build a prototype as close as possible to the full scale version, which I will start designing if the tests prove successful.

The stator had to be made from transformar laminations machined in the lathe and the mill; this was a very time consuming procedure, which will most likely be replaced by laser cutting in the following version. Here is the finished stator.

Although I had planned to use purchased roller bearings and had already machined their housings, I ended up using a bicycle hub, which allowed mw to leave one of the rotor ends open.

The next picture shows the almost finished motor seen from the open end.

On the closed end I fitted a pulley that I had hanging around.

The motor is now going for lab tests, for a month or so, and I plan to design car hub motors based on it during the month of August. Wish me luck. ;)

José

Jose,
I hope the design is a success, but even if it is not the prototype is beautiful.

Randy

Back