Blade Welder/ Grinder ?

RonRock

Registered
Registered
I am painting my DoAll 16" vertical bandsaw. It is equipped with a blade welder. The welder has a small grinding wheel for the weld finish. Anybody know what motor this should have? As I received the saw it had been replaced with a larger motor. That required them to make "extensions" to bump out the welder for clearance. Works OK, but looks cobbled. I'd like to replace the motor with one that fits correctly while I have the saw apart.

So anybody know what motor it should have?

I should have mentioned that this saw is an oldie. Blade welder is DBW-1 if memory serves. I'll have to double check that.

I've got an older welder I use on a regular basis. Here's the closest manual I could find for mine. It might help you get a part number for it and with that you could do some Googling to see if you can find more information. There is other great info in it as well that might come in useful.

You can download it here: http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/257/8452.pdf

If you go here you will see more documents that might help, but most of these are a newer vintage:

Good luck,
Ted

Nice find Ted.

I found out that it is a 1/4 hp motor. Still not sure what speed. Or type. The problem with the existing one is that it is overall too large in size. I think that most of the problem is the capaciter that is mounted to the outside as well as the length. I've seen others that have similar looking issues. Other people have also extended the welder mounted to the saw.

Thanks for the pointer.

I have a 80's early 90's model enco with a blade welder. I was in there a long time ago when I first got it. Motor is maybe 3" in diameter with no capacitors. I do use the welder and grinder and am able to stall the motor if I press hard while grinding so it's a dinky motor. Speed I'd say between a thousand no more than fifteen hundred. I would think a bath exhaust fan motor would be a good candidate even the ones where it doesn't have a casing you can see the laminations and armature. Only problem I see is finding one that's rated 220.

Back