Blacksmithing Classes in Newberg OR - Anvil Academy

Nogoingback

Registered
Registered
My wife just walked in and told me about a group in Newberg Oregon that offers classes in blacksmithing as well as woodworking and turning. They also
offer workshops on specialty skills such as wagon wheel building, so the emphasis is on traditional methods and crafts. It's a great idea, so I hope they can
attract enough students to keep it going.

http://anvilacademy.info

I took blacksmithing classes when I was 17 or 18. It was a lot of fun; I still use some of the hooks, nails and a fire poker I made (while grilling). But all of the forges in the class were coal fired and it would take about a week for my sinuses to clear out (even with a dust mask); just in time for the next class. Centaur Forge (the main blacksmith supply shop in the US) was only a few miles from me at the time so I could roam the shelves and spend what little frivolous funds I had available. One of my best purchases was a single kevlar left hand glove, which made holding hot iron a lot more comfortable.

I've been keeping an eye out for a good deal on a decent anvil. I kept my set of Peddinghaus hammers; a Champion 400 blower and a few other odds and ends (that glove) and would like to use them again.

I've watched a couple of blacksmiths working at coal fired forges before and it looks like it would be fun to try it out. Not sure I have time
right now to take the class, but at some point I'd be willing to give it try. Not that I need another hobby...

Back