[Documentation] Birmingham YCL 1340 help needed w/metric chart

vptek

Registered
Registered
I recently acquired a Birmingham YCL 1340 lathe and the metric threading chart is completely worn off it's panel. I wonder if anyone can direct me to a picture of the chart? I've been downloading charts for various other brands of 1340 and experimenting, but with very little success so far.
Thanks in anticipation.Birmingham_YCL_1340.jpg

Birmingham_YCL_1340.jpg

I checked the link that Paul cited. The inch threading chart looks JUST LIKE that of my Grizzly 12x24 lathe, so at least the two of these have the same gearing. Just be sure to compare these to whatever numbers you can still see on yours, to verify they are the same.

Inch threading chart from Griz:

Inch.jpg

Feed chart from Griz:

Feeds.jpg

Original metric threading chart from Griz:

Metric.jpg

Bonus - Many of the metric thread pitches listed above aren't of any use, and several currently in use are not on the chart. I did some figgerin' and came up with the following chart - has all the useful metric pitches except 5.5mm (used on M56 fasteners). Three of the pitches are a bit inexact (marked with asterisks), but good to within +/-1%:

Metric Thread Chart JMH 12X24.JPG

Best wishes!

Inch.jpg Feeds.jpg Metric.jpg Metric Thread Chart JMH 12X24.JPG

Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Paul,
I can read most of the metric info on the Sterling picture of the chart. It's very helpful, but, rather surprisingly, 1.25, a very common metric thread, is absent. More research needed.

Hman,
your charts are awesome. I spent a couple of hours testing today and, unfortunately, they are not a match. I'm guessing our leadscrews or gearboxes are different. My leadscrew is described as 7/8" 8 tpi. Your charts have motivated me to find a "gear calculator" for my lathe and I'm working on that.

Stevemetsch,
A very practical recommendation. I contacted Sterling and they said "Sure come on down. We can contact birmingham for you.
Adam". So, I'm going over there (37 miles from Huntington Beach) in the morning to try and order a manual, as well as take pics of the 1340 chart plates. Very helpful so far.

OK,
I emptied the lathe toolbox and several gears had never been unwrapped. I have 127/120 intermediate, with the following for DRIVER and DRIVEN: 30,36, 40,40 (yes, two), 42. 46, 50, 54, 60, 66.
Gears.JPG

I found online a pic of a change gear page which looks handwritten-ish, and after trying several of the settings, it appears to work for me. I've been able to produce the 1.25mm thread I needed.
Chart.JPG

Summary: I hope to get a manual and actual chart plate pics tomorrow and I will definitely figure out all the threading options and print them for easy reference.

Once again, thanks to all for your help. This website is terrific.

Gears.JPG Chart.JPG

Back