Bill M's Pm1340gt Setup

Yea, but it's still a useful toy.

Oh, and I set up the X axis display to take advantage of the 1 micron scale and set the readout to diameter. Now I can chase single tenths on the display...:rolleyes:

Mr. Bill when you need to chase tenths that DRO will deliver. The steel pins I made for my welding table for example, the table is precision cnc machined and drilled and I wanted the pins snug, I hit my target diameter within 2-3 tenths on all 8 pins with zero scrap. You are going to love the DRO.

Guess I better get to setting up my DRO (providing I can figure it out). Haven't even mounted the head yet to see if it works. I've never used one, so of course it's a bit intimidating looking, though I suppose it'll be something I can't do without once I get the hang of it. Been just using my 1340 to make a few small parts for things, but it's night & day compared to MY old 9" SB for smoothness of the dials & carriage, as well as how nicely it cuts. Then of course there's the power factor............

OK guys, need a little help here. Did a test cut on a 2" piece of aluminum and I'm 4 thou smaller at the tailstock end across 9"

So I need to tilt the headstock towards the back of the lathe (splash guard). Which adjustment screw do I use, and which headstock bolts to loosen? I'm going to look over the manual but I'm not too hopeful.

Guess I better get to setting up my DRO (providing I can figure it out). Haven't even mounted the head yet to see if it works. I've never used one, so of course it's a bit intimidating looking, though I suppose it'll be something I can't do without once I get the hang of it. Been just using my 1340 to make a few small parts for things, but it's night & day compared to MY old 9" SB for smoothness of the dials & carriage, as well as how nicely it cuts. Then of course there's the power factor............

Write your questions here, or send me a PM if you want to talk on the phone. It's still pretty fresh in my mind. :)

Bill, if you were using the tailstock to support the tail of the the work, then I would say you need to move the tailstock to the back by 0.002. But maybe I misread what you did.

Hey Jim,

This is the unsupported cut. I will do the tailstock adjustment after this.

I think I really need Mike (zmotorsports) to help me here. There are three allen head screws in the back above the motor and they go front to back on the headstock (front being the chuck end). the two end ones are only partially threaded in, while the center one is all the way in. I'm thinking I need to screw in the rear most screw slightly to point the chuck slightly towards the splash guard.

I think.

In the meantime, here's a pic of Gray Lady getting herself dirty. It was fun... :)

IMG_0566.jpg

You sure the headstock is misaligned, and it is not the chuck holding the part askew?

No, I'm not sure. Can I check that with a decent (sub-thou diameter delta) piece of TGP?

Back