Bill M's Pm1340gt Setup

Well I managed to get everything installed that I wanted and things are looking pretty good. I mounted the backing plate for the Pratt and I'll be dammed if I can find more than a tenth or two (the new Mitsu .0001 DI is kinda twitchy) in any position on the spindle. So I didn't skim it and just mounted the chuck on it. Oh and for you folks thinking about a Pratt: I had the chuck face down on the bench and trying to get the backing plate to slide into the 'pocket' on the back of the chuck but any tilt of the backing plate will have it wedge in there pretty tight. There is only about 2-3 thou difference between the raised area of the backing plate and the recess in the back of the chuck. I'll bet this chuck doesn't need half that to zero out a part. :)

Had it spinning at the highest speed in low range, about 800 rpm, and I found myself standing back by the tailstock. I spin a 5" on the little SB at over 2000 rpm, but I can't imagine this thing ever spinning that fast. I'll be in the other room if it does. Big Chuck...

I made a little shield for the read head on the Z axis to keep the larger fodder at bay. Sorry Coolidge, I wasn't up for relocating that 40" scale. And I got my Dorian mounted! Now I just need my 5/8" indexable set to get here from Shars and I can start cutting stuff. :)

I have a 1.25"x20" piece of TGP I was going to stick in the chuck and run a DI down it's length to see if the headstock is true. I also have a 2"x12" piece of aluminum that I could use. Not sure which would be better so maybe I'll try both.

Dinner's ready so here's some eye candy:

IMG_0555.jpg

IMG_0562.jpg

She's a little bigger than the little SB. :)

Looks nice Bill, I must say the fit and finish on the PBA chucks is quite nice. I did mount my Bison 4 Jaw 8" combination (about the same weight as your 8") and was able to spin it up to 800+ RPM with no braking problems or fault codes on the WJ200. So you should have no problems with yours as long as you use a braking resistor.

I been giving some additional review of the circuit diagram for the VFD , I would recommend adding a device protection diode to the relay module. Automation have these that plug directly into the relay socket or you can add a diode across the relay power + and - terminals as shown in the diagram. When the relay releases it can bounce which causes a magnetic flux from the coil to cause a voltage spike in the relay power connections. Normally this is not an issue with regular switches, but could be an issue because the VFD is powering the relay, and the induced voltage can be quite high. The additional diode shown nullifies this problem.

See below.

Protection Device Relay Diode.jpg

Thanks Mark. I bought the 784 series right? Hope it comes with directions as I still haven't figured out this socket and how it mounts to the DIN rail. :)

And yes, I bought a braking resistor.

Looks great Bill... and yeah, that chuck looks BIG on the headstock.

Beautiful Bill. Too bad that beauty has to sit in your shop... Seems like a waste to have such a nice piece of equipment sitting inside. Maybe you should strap a seat on that puppy and take it for a spin around the neighborhood!

Looks great Bill... and yeah, that chuck looks BIG on the headstock.

Yea but it's only .5" larger in diameter than the bed is wide, and it's no bigger than the 4-jaw. And Matt said the 1340 will handle it no problem. I might have hesitated if the spindle wasn't as stout as it is.

Beautiful Bill. Too bad that beauty has to sit in your shop... Seems like a waste to have such a nice piece of equipment sitting inside. Maybe you should strap a seat on that puppy and take it for a spin around the neighborhood!

I have the Camaro SS for that. :D

Back