Big Project Ahead of Me (Bridgeport J2)

Charley Davidson

Active User
Registered
got this machine a while back when Benny bought his Bandsaw & I got 2 Bridgeports. It's been stored at Benny's orphanage ever since and was brought to my shop Sat. June 1st. It looks worse than it is, it's missing a few parts but otherwise it's in great shape. It has chrome ways and most of the flaking is still there, I have the head & motor but missing the knuckle that mounts the head to the ram and allows it to swivel & nod.

I think this machine was a very high end model as it has chrome ways, had power feed,48" table, Bridgeports readouts. Powerfeed is missing lots of parts & I'm not sure condition or what's missing on the readouts. Someone robbed it of the one shot also.

First thing I'm gonna do is disassemble the mill, clean & paint it. Find out what all is missing & try to find new or good used parts I need. I may CNC this one.

Bridgeport J2 (1).JPG Bridgeport J2 (2).JPG Bridgeport J2 (3).JPG Bridgeport J2 (4).JPG Bridgeport J2 (5).JPG Bridgeport J2 (6).JPG Bridgeport J2 (7).jpg Bridgeport J2 (8).JPG Bridgeport J2 (9).JPG Bridgeport J2 (10).JPG

That should keep you busy for a week or two.:roflmao:

Charley, you have Bridgeports coming out the whazoo :biggrin:
Sounds like you have to hunt down a few things, but should be a good project for you.

If you do convert to CNC, do start a thread on the conversion. Good luck with the current project. :drink2:

Looks like a good project Charley, I hope you can find your parts cheap enough. It seem like now every thing is made of gold.

Paul

Hey charlie,
there is a bridgport that is missing a head up near me that does not have any frosting left (i think the term is ridden hard and put away wet... poor thing). might be a good parts machine, i'll see what he wants for it. let me know all you need.

What's on the ways in picture #4 ?
grime

Hey charlie,
there is a bridgport that is missing a head up near me that does not have any frosting left (i think the term is ridden hard and put away wet... poor thing). might be a good parts machine, i'll see what he wants for it. let me know all you need.

Main thing I need is the knuckle that goes between the RAM and the head

Back