Big or small lathe, my head can't decide yet!

Another thing I like about the 1236 is that it's a gap bed lathe!! So your swing over gap is 17 11/16"!! You may never need it but the added capacity is just a few bolts away...

I've been reading up as I would like to get a lathe. I started looking at mini machines, $600 or so. Found this forum, then decided I would like a PM-1127. Now I see this and am back to considering the 1236. It sure looks like a good value. I think I might miss the variable speed, but I don't think it's a huge deal.

How workable is using a 1236 as a horizontal mill? I have a few projects in mind that would be nice to mill a little as well. Ideally, I'd get both, but I don't see that happening soon.

I've been reading up as I would like to get a lathe. I started looking at mini machines, $600 or so. Found this forum, then decided I would like a PM-1127. Now I see this and am back to considering the 1236. It sure looks like a good value. I think I might miss the variable speed, but I don't think it's a huge deal.

How workable is using a 1236 as a horizontal mill? I have a few projects in mind that would be nice to mill a little as well. Ideally, I'd get both, but I don't see that happening soon.
You can do milling on a lathe, but it is not very close to ideal. Line boring is an exception, though that is not really a milling job.

I guess the same as the 11x27, about the same cross travel of 6". I'll probably use a milling attachment on mine for some small 2"x3"plates I make. But, I'm keeping an eye out for a smallish mill. I'm trying to figure out where I would put a decent mill though. The variable speed is nice of course, it can be added later. The 11x27 has the features I "need", but no growing room. It was just big enough to handle my projects. Haven't used a VFD lathe myself, so I don't know what I'm missing really.

The 12x36 with preferred package is about $550 more with shipping. Plus you add in the $200 upgraded cast stand and its really in a hobby class of its own, much better than what Grizzly offers in their version. Its about twice the weight with a gap bed than a 11x27, you might want to turn a brake rotor or something. A 220 volt 2 hp motor is really not big, but better than a 110 volt 1 hp, Much less gear and belt changing and then you have a foot brake too with the preferred package. You really get a lot of value with the 12x36 alone, then add in the preferred package with the feed clutch/stop, the coolant system the brake and its a unique offering at this price. Anything with these features in a 12" or bigger is much more expensive. I looked for months, its the best value I could find. I finally convinced my self a 12x36 was the way to go.

The 11x27 is a great package if your staying with 110 volt machines. The 110 volt 12x28 is better if your going to thread often, less gear changes, just costs a few hundred more equipped the same as the 11x27. The 1127 AC inverter set up is different too, most in this class use DC motors. And remember the PM-1236 comes with the stand even with the base model. I started out thinking I could get by with the 10x22 or 10x30, but I realized I needed more power. I really didn't want to move a 12x36 into my shop, but I think if I had gone with a 11x27 it would have been worked too hard. I figure a 12x36 will be more durable, better for cutting threads with the foot brake?

I like the idea of a separate VFD. I can always pull it and use one of my 3ph converters if it breaks. I doubt I'll add one really fast, I have other extra things to get first. You know, Priorities.

Last edited:
The 12x36 with preferred package is about $550 more with shipping. Plus you add in the $200 upgraded cast stand and its really in a hobby class of its own, much better than what Grizzly offers in their version. Its about twice the weight with a gap bed than a 11x27, you might want to turn a brake rotor or something. A 220 volt 2 hp motor is really not big, but better than a 110 volt 1 hp, Much less gear and belt changing and then you have a foot brake too with the preferred package. You really get a lot of value with the 12x36 alone, then add in the preferred package with the feed clutch/stop, the coolant system the brake and its a unique offering at this price. Anything with these features in a 12" or bigger is much more expensive. I looked for months, its the best value I could find. I finally convinced my self a 12x36 was the way to go.

Thanks for the info. I think my reasoning is following yours. The 1236 is a lot bigger than I had intended, but it does offer room to grow with larger projects and a few I hadn't considered like brake rotors. I would want to go with the preferred package, maybe even the DRO depending on how the budget looks when I order, which is likely toward the end of the year.

Space and 220V are not issues for me. My issues are more about budget and if I think I would actually use the added capability. I think the added rigidity would be useful, particularly with the cast iron stand. Of course, it also means that my budget for the machine jumped from about 600 to about 4000. That bit isn't going to be an easy pill to swallow. :) I'm also not in a rush and maybe a good deal will pop up for a used machine locally. I haven't seen much worth even bothering to look at in person though.

I tried to buy used, couldn't find anything decent for the money. One old Grizzly, the guy wanted $3,000 for, I can get a new one for less than $3600 shipped. It was very clean and like new though, but I rather have it shipped to my door. Lots of old Atlas, Logan, South Bend and Asian's around here. I wish I could have found a decent one priced okay. There is a never used base model Bolton 12x30 on a stand here in Alabama for $2000, that's the best deal I found. Those Boltons are cheap though, so look at the specs closely, there is a reason why they are cheaper.

If money is the deciding factor, a PM-1022 or PM-1030 is a great value at the $1899/$1999 range. Its a 10" variable lathe with the power cross feed, QCTP and the chucks. Thats what I started looking at when I saw this older review here: http://markswoodchips.com/precision-matthews-1022v-lathe/.html

The small spindle then had me looking at the PM-1127V-LB with the 1" 1/2 spindle bore. But, the PM-1030 is $1999 and it comes with the accessories lacking in so many others of the same size.

For a little less, Little Machine Shop has their little 8" with a decent brushless DC motor. But its bare bones compared to the PM-1022, it does have the power cross feed for $1799 last time I looked. Add in shipping and there is very little different in price compared to the PM-1022 though that comes with more accessories and capabilities.

Grizzly sells a 12x24 for around $2800 with accessories. I was thinking seriously about a 12x36 Grizzly, the G4003 for just over $3K shipped with some tooling included. But, the G4003G is only a litte more and it comes with a stand, a spindle spider and the QCTP with insert tools. These lathes are too close in featured for me, it makes sense to save up and get a full featured lathe. With Precision Mathews there is a wait time, but the value of the package features win out IMO. The PM 3 year warranty is also a big selling point.

Last edited:
Small lathes for small work, large lathes for large work. There is overlap, but small lathes turn too fast and do not have enough power for larger parts. Large lathes do not go fast enough to get a good surface finish on small diameter aluminum parts. So, you really need several lathes to cover all kinds of work, depending on the actual work that you do or plan to do. ;) Reality strikes, and you have to do the best you can with the money and space that you have available. Try to be brutally honest with yourself on what kinds of projects you really see yourself taking on. Then, pay your money and take your chances... You also are not required to buy new lathes, and do not forget that the tooling costs will probably catch up with the lathe cost. The most important thing for a hobby machinist is having fun!
You can do small work on a large lathe, but not the reverse.

I started with an Atlas 12 x 36. Made a lot of small things with it and learned a lot. Biggest project was turning shoulders on a riser block (8" round) for a Jet mill.

Picked up a Rockwell 10 x 36 which became the "go to" but still used the Atlas. Then picked up a Clausing 12 x 24 which became the "go to", sold the Atlas for more than I paid for it; still used the Rockwell. Then picked up a Grizzly G0709 14 x 40 which is the current "go to" but use the Clausing a lot also (leave a collet chuck on it).

You're going to be hard pressed to find one machine that will do everything from small to large, high speed to slow. My Clausing 12 x 24 top speed is something like 1500 RPM, slowest speed is <30 RPM. The Grizzly G0709 has a range of 70 - 2000 RPM. I really like the Clausing for single point threading and the ~28 RPM minimum speed. I recently threaded a 6 tpi job on the Grizzly and stayed really focused to not crash at the 70 RPM speed; the carriage is moving at about 1" every 5 seconds at that speed.

I'd have to guess the most popular sized lathe is the 12 x 36 size. South Bend sold a lot of 9" and 10" lathes back in the day, plus tons of Atlas 10" and 12" lathes out there. If you pick up a lathe of that size and decide to add a second one you'll still use both. Or if you decide to sell a lathe that you picked up used, you'll likely get your money back. As long everything is working, time doesn't devalue the machine.

Bruce

easy solution,, go with the biggest and best lathe you can afford.
it must fit in location you want it, that's a must. don't spend more than you can afford or you could start hating the cost and sell machine at a loss, it has to be able to do more than what you need it for at time of purchase, if you have to up grade that is more cost that could of been avoided.

bought the PM 1340 -GT because it was best PM offered at the time, I wanted lathe made in Taiwan because I don't like china steel, the larger 14-40 lathe from Taiwan was not available when I made purchase or I would of purchased it. That being said the PM 1340 GT is a nice lathe I have had a few problems but nothing major yet, I don't think you will go wrong purchasing a Precision Mathews machine of any type, I also have the PM 935 TV Mill I use it more than lathe

Back