Big or small lathe, my head can't decide yet!

SSage

Registered
Registered
Man these threads make my head hurt. The go bigger comments are making me think about going to a larger lathe than I had planned. Lots of great points on this forum, love the positive vibe here.

I started out thinking I wanted a Grizzly 12x36 like most folks that don't know much, then I got to researching what was big enough for making mostly small punch dies and ammunition reloading stuff. I figure my minimum probably should be the PM-1127VF-LB size lathe, thread cutting is not a priority for me. At $3,098 I'm tempted to just wait on one of those. I mostly use a max diameter 2" round bar of A2 and bore holes to 1" max, mostly under 1/2". But, that PM-1236 is rattling around my head. Its so tempting for $550 more than what I think I really need to cover my scale of work. The foot brake is the main attraction, never used one before.

Any comments on the preferred package? Is the accessories all usable, I see it even includes a clutch on the feed screw like the industrial lathes. I doubt I would use the coolant pump, but the value of the package seems excellent. Is the drill chuck decent? The built in VFD on the smaller lathes appeals to me, never had one of those either, always used old iron. I'm putting in another 200 amp main service soon, my lights have been dimming in the home shop when my 80 gallon 2 stage air compressor cycles. My home service is barely adequate with the shop machines. So, I will have the power for more 220 machines if needed. I'm looking forward to adding another Air Conditioner!

I guess I'm trying to convince myself I need a 1,2000 lbs lathe after wanting to get something easy to install. That PM-1127VF-LB is listed at 575 lbs though, it seems heavy for its size anyway and I think the wait will be longer on one.

Any thoughts on the 1 hp AC inverter drive verses the 1228 DC set up at 2 hp? I compare the 1127 and the 1228 and they seem so close, just more threading range and the 2 hp DC motor I guess is the plus on the 12". I like the idea of the lower weights, easier to move in and I have to travel a dirt road with a small tractor. I gotta bring it in via 40 hp farm tractor and 2 ton shop hoist. Have to unload big trucks out on the asphalt road, they can't make it down my chert rock path.

These threads have given me lots to think about.

I brought my 3Ø PM1440GT in my shop with a 53hp Case and a 2 ton cherry picker from HF. I think it weighed around 2000 lbs. in the crate.

As to your problem concerning which lathe and "just how big do I really need?" I started with a PM1030V, it was great for about a year then I decided to get a PM1236, which I thought would "surely be big enough for anything I would ever do/need". Well, some friends here helped me get a more "properly sized machine" to fit my present and future needs and totally destroyed my budget. They are laughing right about now reading this post, but they were right. Take this from a guy that was just there three months ago. Go as big as you can afford and fit into the space available, you will thank "us" later. If there is a Taiwanese machine in your size and budget get it they are worth it. If you need a good laugh read about my help deciding which lathe in the PM forum.

Yeah, I read on here that the pm-1236 is main land China. I wonder if thats still the case. I rather not stretch the budget anymore, already added thousands of dollars on other equipment this year. I've been looking for a used lathe, but the clean ones are too close to new prices for me.

I have a Kubota L4330 with the Kubota loader, with the 6' bush hog on its "fun" with the rated 1500 lbs on the forks. I probably could handle unloading the 1236 with no drama. I hope. Probably throw some extra weight on the bush hog. I'm getting close to making an order, trying to decide if I really would use the 12x36. Mainly I work on kinda small items in steel.

Small lathes for small work, large lathes for large work. There is overlap, but small lathes turn too fast and do not have enough power for larger parts. Large lathes do not go fast enough to get a good surface finish on small diameter aluminum parts. So, you really need several lathes to cover all kinds of work, depending on the actual work that you do or plan to do. ;) Reality strikes, and you have to do the best you can with the money and space that you have available. Try to be brutally honest with yourself on what kinds of projects you really see yourself taking on. Then, pay your money and take your chances... You also are not required to buy new lathes, and do not forget that the tooling costs will probably catch up with the lathe cost. The most important thing for a hobby machinist is having fun!

Lets re-phrase that .. get the biggest spindle bore you can afford! So far i am happy with the one that i have.. just wished the spindle bore was larger! What really got me is that the chucks that came with the PM lathe i have.. the through bore of the chucks are only an inch as well.. it is kinda sad so to speak.. so i am on the hunt for some more chucks with a larger center bore to them.. i would like at least 1.5 inches if i can find one.. that i can put on it..
I brought my 3Ø PM1440GT in my shop with a 53hp Case and a 2 ton cherry picker from HF. I think it weighed around 2000 lbs. in the crate.

As to your problem concerning which lathe and "just how big do I really need?" I started with a PM1030V, it was great for about a year then I decided to get a PM1236, which I thought would "surely be big enough for anything I would ever do/need". Well, some friends here helped me get a more "properly sized machine" to fit my present and future needs and totally destroyed my budget. They are laughing right about now reading this post, but they were right. Take this from a guy that was just there three months ago. Go as big as you can afford and fit into the space available, you will thank "us" later. If there is a Taiwanese machine in your size and budget get it they are worth it. If you need a good laugh read about my help deciding which lathe in the PM forum.

Spindle bore size made me look at the PM-1127VF-LB. I've been looking at some used Grizzly 12x36's made in the early 2000's, but the prices are too high for me to haul one home. I'm factoring in the time and money to haul one. I have the truck and trailer, just need the will power. Already tore my rotator cuffs in both shoulders last year a few months apart pushing myself too hard. I'm middle aged, but I feel older.

I bought one of those Harbor Freight 2 ton shop cranes with the folding legs, works okay. I lifted a 1,000 lbs press up with it, I had to replace the cast legs. It lifts nice and high, not bad for $179.00.

Lots of good advise above. Bob's right, you need several lathes! As others have said, think about what you are intending to do, and how big a lathe you would need to do that - then get one that is at least one size larger. I do very general machining - vehicles, model trains, house repairs - some of this & that. My first lathe was (is) 15x60 with a 21" gap. Sure it is a bit big to drag around (with every move I have to hire a crane truck) and getting the power sorted out again is a pain (meaning hooking up the phase converter) - but for the work I do, it is very rare that I get defeated. It will run up to 2000 rpm, which works okay on some pretty small pieces, and over the years I have used every inch of the bed or every inch of swing. For general work, I'm really glad that I got a larger lathe than anything I could have originally imagined. I still have that first lathe, it is now pretty well kitted out and it is still a key part of, what has become my "fleet". A 15x60 is certainly not a "large" machine.

That 12x36 lathe would be a very handy size. I really doubt that you'll find that it is too big.

My opinion of the PM-1236 is that the low speed (65 rpm) is too fast. The top end of 1800 rpm I could live with. I find I use the lowest speed far more often (like about 100x more often) than I use the highest speed.

Sure, it would be cool to play with a 20" (or larger) lathe, but I can't see any advantages and a number of disadvantages (in the jobs I have done over the past 30 years).

A few years ago I got a very sweet 11x24 lathe, it is well accessorized and I enjoy using it (although the work envelop is small, it is a heavy pattern industrial machine - it actually out weights the 15x60 machine). That PM-1127 is a bit larger, but one would have to melt down 5 of them to get enough metal for one S&B 1024! However, even on modest size jobs, I often find myself going back to that 15x60 machine - sort of a "first love".

So why did I buy the 11x24? Can you say "Smart & Brown"? I guess I bought it because I had the opportunity. I thought it would be a nice companion to the 15x60 machine: same spindle mount, spindle bored for 5C collets, smaller chucks, speed change on the fly, lower slow speed and faster top speed, quieter operation - yes a nice machine.

Lots of people thought I was crazy, at 21 years old, to buy a 2500# lathe - just for fun. Of course I blew my cash, I had no tooling and couldn't plug it in. It took a few more pay cheques and I had it running, then tooling one piece at a time for years (no e-bay back then). Looking back over the past 34 years, that was one of the best purchases I ever made. Any regrets of paying too much (and I did overpay - no haggling on price, the salesman said a number to a kid (me) who looked about 18 - and I said "sure") - are long since forgotten.

Go for the larger machine and get all the lathe specific attachments right up front (steadies, TTA) - getting those items later is usually difficult because the lathe is not quite the same or they will be disproportionately more expensive. The spindle attachments, QCTP, DRO, etc - those can all be added later - so only get the very basics of the non-lathe specific items that you actually need right away (max out your spending on the actual machine - you can buy another chuck later - it is harder to buy another inch of swing).

Let us know how you make out. David

I went with a pm 1440gs, it still has the hobby sized ways seen on the hobby end, but it has the big bore spindle, bigger motor, and the weight is in the 1800lbs area. These machines are a trade off, really they are not a perfect fit in this price range and class, find the one that offers what you perceive is the most value for your money.

There are some that think because all of these machines in the 12-14" class are all just the same basic frame, that they feel the 12" machines are the stiffest... ymmv. Unless the extra 2 inches or so are really important...
The larger bore was for me, I just could not pull the trigger on any machine that was in the 1 1/2" spindle range, this included some commercial machines...

My machine should be in about 3 weeks, still cleaning the garage, and making room
Hth
Rich

Well, I've thought out the options till I'm tired of thinking. My budget has been increased 3 times now as I read the forums like many have commented.

I put an order/deposit in for the PM-1236 with the preferred package. The wait starts, but I gotta run 220 power over to the spot overhead surface mounted and figure out where the spot is. It came down to the PM-1127 or the PM-1236 for me. Right now I have no projects needing a 12x36, but who knows what may come up. The 1236 cost about $550 more with the stand, the foot brake, cooling, feed clutch etc. And its a better speced than a G4003G and the 3 year warranty is a plus.

We just finished mounting a new 200 amp main panel outside and a large inside panel out of an old house. Its a nice D Square box full of breakers, can't beat the free price. Just need to pull mains in the new 2" conduit and install the interior outlets. Thankfully my "local" electrical supply has good prices and I have lots of left over free conduit from other jobs. At least I have plenty of time to clear out a spot and plenty to get done before it arrives. Hey, it comes with a LED work light, that sells it right there. :)

What type of coolant do lathes use?

I don't know if its right, but I use cheap hydraulic oil to cool my horizontal metal band saw. Makes the blades last about 4x longer, it came with a coolant set up on a home made bench. Works good, just messy.

Back