Biax Scraper, Happy, Happy, Happy

Hey, that's the kit, most of it anyways. Mine has a few more items, couple I've added to it over the years. Ken

Ken,

I have read about people making more flexible tips. Maybe a little longer.

Need to figure out what tool to use on what part? Last night I used the smallest blade. As my part is very small.

Tom

Tom,

I haven't made any flexible blades or holders as Richard has mentioned to this day. I picked up some spring material to play with, with in mind to make a flexible holder. Some day I may try it, but I've gotten by so far all the years I've been doing this that it probably will not happen. I encourage people to play around with making their own holders that suite their needs. Don't necessarily need to do it Richard's way! The key to the scraping process is providing flatness along with "ditches" for the oil to float in.

Ken

The Canode dyes settle in the bottles. If you let them sit for a few months they become thin at the top and thick at the bottom. The thin is about worthless for marking up, and the thick is impossible to use without thinning it. Shake and stir it well if it has been sitting around, and it will be good again.

Bob,

Since I lost over half my blue color. I just ordered two new bottles. Only $4.50 each.

But I will try stirring the yellow.

My old bottles date back to 2014.

I hope to have the new bottles by the end of the week.

The guy selling them said to thin with light weight vegetable oil. Windex or water will just brake down the compound.

I am exited to getting a good print to see where to scrape next...

toolman_ar

The guy selling them said to thin with light weight vegetable oil. Windex or water will just brake down the compound.
OK. Good to know. The Windex evaporates quickly, the oil does not. Just don't add too much.

When I attended Richard's class a couple years back, he pulled out the bottle of Windex, I had to chuckle a bit. Reminds me of the movie "My big fat Greek Wedding" (I think that's the name of it) the old man carrying around the bottle of Windex, the cure all for everything!
BTW- I haven't tried it yet to thin down the Candole dye. Yellow and blue are my favorite to use too. Sure wish I kept the jar of red lead I had....
I still have my red lead, mixed with machine oil into a very stiff paste and kept in a snuff box, just like the "Machine Tool Recondition" book told me to, also have some red lead powder that I have had since the 1960s, not to mention some litharge and white lead; I fear the "authorities" will be coming after me someday.
I like the water based blue and yellow, Richard King gave the leftovers after one of his scraping classes; properly stopped up they should last the rest of my years. I do prefer red lead for some work. I have both the Biax scraper and the flaker, both the electronic speed control type, with about every cutter and holder made by Biax, given to me by the sons of an old friend who bought them new and used them but little.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back