Best Way To Hold Hex Stock In Lathe

mrjbinok

Registered
Registered
I'm sure that this has been covered elsewhere in this or another forum but I'm not finding it, I apologize.

I am considering a project that would start with a hex stock to make a tool that would resemble a regular bolt. My requirements are no way close to any standard bolt dimensions so I am considering hex stock.

My question is "What is the best way to center hex stock on a manual lathe and hold it for turning?" I'll be working with a 1" round after turning the body and I do not currently have any collet's near that size. Any suggestions?

Do you have a three (or 6) jaw chuck?
Or, you could turn the threads and make the flats for the bolt head on a mill.

Daryl
MN

I hold it in a 3 jaw chuck. Indicate off the lowest point on each flat.

I would think turning round stock would be easier and then just going to the mill and putting it in a collet chuck. that's what we did for our project.

I guess I forgot to engage my brain on this one. I do have a 3 jaw that has pretty good run out. For some reason I couldn't picture using it with the hex stock. I'm about 3 projects away from starting on this project, so I'm just kicking ideas around in my head while I work on something else. I am currently rebuilding a small Johnson Gas Forge and converting it from NG to LPG. I plan to use it for heat treating some of the pieces I make.

I won't be turning any threads on this, as it will actually end up being a two pin spanner to fit down into a recessed fork tube for old Harleys. Total length will be about 1 1/2". Right now I don't have access to a mill, so making do with what I have. I have a couple of different ideas on how I could get to what I need with the least amount of work.

Thanks for the input.

Jim

How about taking a piece of tubing with an I.d. a tight fit to the hex stock. Slit the tubing axially, press it on the hex stock, hold it in the 3 jaw.

Of course only slit one side.

David

Last edited:
2b4934234160c77138f2b6e4407a62ec.jpg

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

This guy uses a 4 jaw... I've never tried it. At about 7:30 in the video
If you haven't watched his video on the 1 micron lathe he built you should. It's incredible.

Of course a three jaw will work. I am embarrassed for "over thinking".

David

Back