Best way to connect three 10awg wires together

nickmckinney

Active User
Registered
I am running 10awg to a couple of machines and question what other options are there (code and safety wise) that would be better than trying to twist connector 3 of them together at a junction box.

I am running 10awg to a couple of machines and question what other options are there (code and safety wise) that would be better than trying to twist connector 3 of them together at a junction box.

split bolt connector and insulating tape is a very positive method but i still like the twist type better. ya got the insulator built right in. . .

Electric supply places that sell to the trade carry an item, I don't know the proper name, that is a metal block with holes in it, with hex-head setscrews, all covered in thick resilient insulation. Works better than a split bolt or a wirenut, and you aren't dealing with the tape. Make sure, especially with three wires, that the setscrew gets a good bite into all the wires and that all the wires get good contact with the block.

Electric supply places that sell to the trade carry an item, I don't know the proper name, that is a metal block with holes in it, with hex-head setscrews, all covered in thick resilient insulation. Works better than a split bolt or a wirenut, and you aren't dealing with the tape. Make sure, especially with three wires, that the setscrew gets a good bite into all the wires and that all the wires get good contact with the block.

Distribution block. Normally used in control panels to break out the mains to distribute the power to the various components.
m_hpb3091.jpgm_hpb1013.jpg

m_hpb3091.jpg

m_hpb1013.jpg

Large wire nut (grey colored). The grey ones are rated to handle 3 #10 wires. Any good electrical supply store will have them in that size... Maybe even the big box store will.

Three #10's isn't all that big that you need "bug nuts" or junction blocks.

John

Split bolts are only rated for two wires. Wire nut or wing nut will work fine. This is the connector someone else mentioned.wire connector.jpg

wire connector.jpg

Just twist and solder, then wrap with tape?

Cheers Phil

Back