Best Type ofStones for tool honing, sharpening?

schemer

Active User
Registered
I seem to have lost my stone that was small, old, and worn out. I need to buy a new one or a few new ones. What type are the best or most often used for cleaning up your HSS tool bits? I have a diamond hone like a finger nail file but really need a good stone. What grit, material, and size is best? Any links? I want a good sized one.
Thanks

There are lots of stones that will work for various projects. For honing a HSS tool, when you also have a diamond hone (fine ?, extra fine ?) I use a Norton knife edge India stone, fine grit. Then follow with the diamond hones. Yes, diamond works fine for honing steel, only causes issues at high speeds. I also sometimes use the same Norton stone in a 1/2" square shape, depending on where I am honing.

There are lots of stones that will work for various projects. For honing a HSS tool, when you also have a diamond hone (fine ?, extra fine ?) I use a Norton knife edge India stone, fine grit. Then follow with the diamond hones. Yes, diamond works fine for honing steel, only causes issues at high speeds. I also sometimes use the same Norton stone in a 1/2" square shape, depending on where I am honing.

Ok, thanks for the info. My diamond hone is a fine grit and I use it as the last finishing touch. I found my other stone now but it is small and pretty worn out so I will be looking at a Norton fine stone to replace it.

Back