• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Untitled 1

As promised, a formal announcement has been made regarding recent changes in the administrative staff here at H-M.

Please take a few moments to go to our home page and review that announcement.

[4]

Best Place To Buy Aloris Stuff?

[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

dieselshadow

Do you smell something?
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
I need to buy a toolholder, specifically the BXA-71 parting blade holder. Any recommendations?

4gsr

HM Shop Superintendent
Staff member
CDCO tools does not sell the BXA-71 tool holder. Only Aloris and Dorian sell them.

Make your own.

Ken

4gsr

HM Shop Superintendent
Staff member
Dorian does not sell this tool holder. I wish they did.
Dorian does carry tool holders that take the insert type cutoff blade. Just not the big blade that Aloris has for their 71 series holders.

dieselshadow

Do you smell something?
Dorian does carry tool holders that take the insert type cutoff blade. Just not the big blade that Aloris has for their 71 series holders.
Exactly. They do not manufacture a 1.25" blade holder for a BXA toolpost, heck not even a 1.00" holder. All that Dorian offers is .75". On a 14" lathe that seems awfully inadequate, especially since there are other out there with much better specs.

mksj

Active User
Seems a bit confusing on what blade height you need and what the holder will fit, at least from the different descriptions.
A number of places to try:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Aloris-BXA-71-Cut-off-and-Grooving-Holder-1-5-Blade-/112022680829

If you have an old Enco account and they sometimes have specials, then possibly MSC. They also have business accounts so you do not need to play all these pricing games.
http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/09061110

Check with Matt at QMT, he sells Aloris. Ajax is another supplier, they are all within a few dollars of each other.
JTS machinery & supply sells a bunch of Chinese holders for for different blade heights, the holders mount in something like a #1 or #2 holder. I can only find this in their catalogue, the website is pretty bad. I have some oversized holders, so my parting blade is in a 1" Dorian BXA. You can run into some height adjustment issues.

jbolt

Active User
I have been using a Shars SLTBN-12-6 holder that fits in a standard BXA holder for about 4 years on my old 13" lathe.

Not nearly as compact as the Aloris but it works fine on my PM-1440GT.

[6]
[5] [7]