Best material to use

Scruffy

Active User
Registered
i'm rounding up the material for a repair on a John Deere 310 backhoe loader.problem is where the power steering cylinder and tie rod attach to the knuckle on bothe sides is a little worn.
Pin is one inch holes are so egg shaped I'll have to bore them almost one and a half inches to clean up.
3 ears on right 2 on the left.bushings will be app. 1 inch tall 3 on right 2 on left.i want the pin to wear and not the bushing. Pin isn't very hard a file marks it easily.
What would be best to make the bushings out of?

Thanks scruffy ron

I think your right about letting the pin wear. I'd use hardened sleeves but soft pin . I'd be afraid if both were hard they'd snap under the pressure those machines can create. Are they cracked and need welding ? They get lots of abuse , any wear areas on them can be hard faced with welding rods.

I built some new bucket pins for my neighbor a couple years back. They ran in harden bushings and the pins were heat treated 4140 to around 28-36 HRC. I want to say his tractor was to a 310. It was a John Deer. I'm surprised JD doesn't offer a repair kit with harden bushings with new pins for the steering cylinder.

I have new jd pins. The steering cyl. And tie rod ends have replaceable oil lite bushing. I have them.
What I repairing is the knuckle casting, comes from factory with no bushing. Just steel pin on cast steel hole. This knuckle can be bought. 1300.00 a piece. This machine sees little use on a farm. It's got 16000 hrs on it now.
Thanks ron

Back