Best Lathe For A Beginner? Where To Start?

Probably a bit out of your price range OP, but my PM1340GT has a short headstock with a very thick spindle, ground gears in the headstock, and a 3 phase/2hp motor driven by a VFD. Very smooth and finish is excellent with no chatter.

At this stage, either find a local trade school to learn to use a lathe or buy a small used lathe to practice with. You can't pay for a larger lathe rebarreling a few rifles, you need to do that as a regular part of business to justify the cost.

Jeff

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

This was just pure curiosity. I wanted to compare and contrast what was recommended. I will not be making a living of this as I'm in college for something else. I appreciate the replies. I am hoping to find someone locally that is willing to teach me some basics.

This was just pure curiosity. I wanted to compare and contrast what was recommended. I will not be making a living of this as I'm in college for something else. I appreciate the replies. I am hoping to find someone locally that is willing to teach me some basics.
What's your location?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Another vote for the G4003G. I'm just a w/e warrior but already built my first rifle on it and it came out great. You'll need to learn what you're doing before you start building rifles. There's a certain "feel" for getting things to come out to .001 accuracy or better. You won't get that just by reading but by doing as well.

There is various options, but definately you need to learn the basics. You can always get a 7x12 for cheap and learn the basics on that then you will be in a better position to figure out what you need. I started on an old Jet 1024 which was a bit big I believe but I learned a lot. I then switched to a Import 10x18 which was a lot smaller machine. Both the 1024 and the 1018 were capable of most of the work I did but I wanted more. Figured out what my plans were and how I wanted to chamber my barrels from that point on and decided I needed a 40 inch lathe.

I now run a Enco 13x40 which is not a bad machine overall, but I wish I kept the 1018 for smaller stuff. I will buy a small machine in the future for sure. You won't be disapointed with a Grizzly 1340 or any of it's variant, but if you wanna start somewhere a smaller machine is the way to go I believe.

GST

Back