Best Dial Test Indictor for the Money

I lucked out when I bought a bunch of tools for $175 and got a Compac .0005 test indicator in the deal. Deals do come up sometimes, you just need to keep looking and jump on them quick.

Ajax-20130715-00590.jpg

Ajax-20130715-00590.jpg

Nah, I knew what you meant, Tom, and agree with you. Its unfortunate that the US doesn't produce the quality that the Swiss and Japanese do. Starrett was good once upon a time and I have an old Last Word that I still like but it is nowhere near the quality of a Compac and that's the truth. Luckily, a top quality Swiss or Japanese DTI can be purchased on eBay for the price of a Chinese import ... may it always be so.

Yep and I'll take a old and used Compac over any of the Chinese imports every single time.

When I was calibrating a ton of instruments as part of an ISO9001 compliance regimen what I noticed about DTI's is that the people with the Swiss DTI's treated them with the utmost care and respect while those with the cheap China ones beat the snot out those.

The best dial test indicator for the money is the one you buy at a garage sale for a great price. Unfortunately, this is probably not when you need it. I have 3 indicators:

1. Harbor Freight bought new for $10
2. Federal 0.0001 bought at garage sale for $5
3. Starrett last word dial test indicator w/Starrett magnetic base at estate sale for $15

The last was the best deal. The first was bought because of need. I would have never bought it if I had the other two, but it works a lot better than no indicator.

I bought a cheap import DTI once... joke was on me :jester:.
even for hobby use they are too cheap and flimsy. Look on ebay for a interapid, or brown and sharpe. both are solid and top notch. I have 2 interapids now, and a giodtast, B&S, and a compac, and the are all very good, I would recommend any of those, with the interapid best n show, and the B&S second.
Also I mentioned before, if it is just for tramming, look for a metric one, they are 1/2as much or less usually.

Ive got a b&s bestest that was used when i got it 28 years ago. Still works perfect. About 5 years when one of the older machinist was retiring, He told me to pick out a tool to remember him by. When i was looking through his box i came across a bestest that was sill wrapped up in the celophane inside the original box. This thing must be 40 years old and he never used it, lol. I keep it back for my spare just incase something happens to the one ive been using all the years. I thought about getting an interapid. I've never used one but everyone seems to swear by them. I honestly can't see the point when my bestest has seved me so well. Both my bestest are .0005 and are the white faced ones. Tony seems to prefer the black face ones if im not mistaken. Hey both of mine were free. Couldn't be any happier!

Best is a subjective thing and to me the best LOOKING DTI ever made is this sweet Alina.
View attachment 71905

Oh wow - that IS a sweet-looking indicator!

Although most of you will probably admit that a vintage Starrett Last Word has its own beauty as well - especially its color case hardening and its compactness:

Vintage Last Word.jpg

Tom

Vintage Last Word.jpg

I would also add the older Lufkin, they are also made in the same place as Compac and Alina.....Tim

I would also add the older Lufkin, they are also made in the same place as Compac and Alina.....Tim

That's pretty funny. I just bought a Lufkin branded Compac just like my other one but in horizontal format. Will be a perfect companion to my Alina K-21.

I hope I am not getting off topic. I am really enjoying this conversation. Can anyone recommend a definitive guide for using an indicator?
Thanks
Greg

Back