Best Brand Rpc For 3hp Lathe

Why not use a VFD rated for 1 phase in and 3 Phase out. This would give you a wider range of variable speed, braking, soft start. Less power draw.

My Harrison lathe also has 3HP motor, and I had a 5HP RPC which ran fine unless I started the lathe up in the high speed (no gear) range, then the RPC/Lathe motor "complained". So I went to a 7.5HP RPC using WNY panel and it works great starting/running in any speed range.
The panel looks to be made well.
Here is their ebay store link: http://stores.ebay.com/wny-supply-phase-converter?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

Dan

Why not use a VFD rated for 1 phase in and 3 Phase out.

I do use a VFD to power a 1 hp 3 phase bandsaw such that I can slow it down to cut metal. The 10 hp RPC will be wired to a 3 phase distribution panel to also power a milling machine (arriving next month), and maybe a 5 hp table saw and perhaps some other new purchase I haven't thought of yet. I can see the RPC offers lots of versatility.

But how long should I leave it running without drawing power from it?

When I researched RPC's it looked like quality and quality of design were all over the map as was pricing. I found it interesting that American Rotary was the only RPC approved by Haas for use with their CNC machines.

I do use a VFD to power a 1 hp 3 phase bandsaw such that I can slow it down to cut metal. The 10 hp RPC will be wired to a 3 phase distribution panel to also power a milling machine (arriving next month), and maybe a 5 hp table saw and perhaps some other new purchase I haven't thought of yet. I can see the RPC offers lots of versatility.

But how long should I leave it running without drawing power from it?

I don't think it matters too much. I have had my 15hp RPC run for an hour or so without drawing power from it with no apparent problems.
Now that you have your 10hp RPC you are not limited too much on what 3-phase machine you come across and have it follow you home.

When I was looking at buying a mill, I visited a shop with a Bridgeport powered by an RPC that was below the floor. You couldn't hear it run, whatsoever. He had a light hooked in with a switch, so that he would be reminded to turn out the light when he left the shop, which also turned off the RPC. I'm pretty sure that he left it running all the time.

Brian

I run a 7.5hp idler motor with a Phasecraft panel ($200) and the unit is very quiet as she idles on. This same motor was purchased back in 2000 when I built my first RPC system. The motor was sourced at a local motor shop for $50.00. Apparently the owner had it rebuilt and never picked it up so they sold it to me for what they had in parts. If your set on a RPC, then call Phasecraft and get the parameters for a motor that will work well with his system. He also balances the legs based on the motor you have (capacitors).

A word of caution, I have also purchased a Phoenix converter ("turn key 7.5 hp") and it worked fine, but much too noisy. Many folks assume all RPC are noisy (many are) but if you follow the recommended parameters such as RPM, service factor etc and a good quality motor mounted on isolators, you can achieve a quiet RPC system. The Howell Idler motor I'm running is all cast construction continuos duty. Since I had the motor, I called Phasecraft and he sold me the control panel custom tweaked for my motor parameters. After install, I was pleased to see all three legs are balanced +/- 3%. I operate nine different machines with no problems, two of the nine machines also utilize VFD's for more control but receive power from the RPC. My first RPC system cost me $800 in parts so I'm conferable recommending Phasecraft.
I ran dedicated conduit with #8 wire to all machine locations including ceiling drops. The larger wire size allows me to extend the system if I acquire another machine without amperage drop. The entire system is on a dedicated 40 amp breaker. I have ran the system for hours on end operating differant machines and the motor only gets warm to the touch.
20140901_143041.jpg
If you are only running a lathe or mill, I would highly recommend a VFD for each machine (Hitachi quality) for maximum benefits of control. If your planning on powering other 3ph fabrication machines such as iron worker, benders, cold saws etc, then a RPC would be most cost effective IMO.

Back